Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC WakeBrook, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health teammates also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 10034
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: Shared Services
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
*This position qualifies for a $6,500 commitment incentive, paid over a three (3) year commitment. The first payment will be made within the first thirty (30) days of employment. The remaining will be paid after each six (6) month period of work completed. Learn more here: https://jobs.unchealthcare.org/pages/revenue-cycle-commitment-incentive-program
Job is 100% Remote with employment opportunities available in the following states: Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia and Wisconsin
Performs technical and administrative work reviewing, abstracting and assigning accepted medical CPT, HCPCS, and ICD-10 codes for professional services. Duties are performed in compliance with third
party, state and federal regulations according to standardized procedures. Employees report to an administrative superior but independently handle assigned tasks.
1. Assigns International Classification of Diseases 10-CM diagnostic and ICD-10-PCS procedural codes accurately and productively, and other applicable codes such as MS-DRG on inpatient cases for all Health Care system cases excluding the academic medical center
2. Groups codes and completed product into payment group.
3. Assigns codes that affect Severity of Illness and Risk of Mortality and Hierarchal Condition Categories (HCCs).
4. Participates in DRG Reconciliation with CDS.
5. Queries providers when documentation is conflicting, needs clarification and specificity
6. Analyzes information for optimal and proper reimbursement.
7. Ensures compliance with all appropriate coding, billing and data collection regulations and procedures.
8. Provides information to physicians and other health care staff regarding current coding practices and changes in 3rd party, state and federal regulations and guidelines.
9. Reviews, analyzes and abstracts physician/other documentation for diagnoses, procedures, and other services provided.
10. Obtains missing information and/or to clarifies existing information.
11. Accepts feedback from Auditor and reviews PWC SMART Edits as needed to avoid future errors.
12. Researches appropriate databases for validation of information.
13. Utilizes a variety of software (e.g. Epic, Optum CAC, MS Office, etc.) to compile and validate medical information.
● High School diploma or GED
·Successful completion of the UNC HCS IP Coder Proficiency Test (non AMC).
● Must have one of the following: - AHIMA (American Health Information Management Association) certification and credential - AAPC (American Academy of Professional Coders) certification and credential
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Two (2) years of experience in hospital coding.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Strong knowledge of ICD-10 coding with excellent analytical and data mining skills. Ability to effectively manage projects, plan and implement programs, and evaluate outcomes. Ability to effectively work with direct various levels of staff (including on-site and remote). Must possess strong communication skills, both written and verbal and have extensive attention to detail. Exhibits effective organizational skills, time management, and management of multiple priorities. Knowledge of Medical Terminology and Anatomy and Physiology. Ability to have an excellent balance of being highly productive and yet produce high quality work. Ability to interpret federal and state regulations as they relate to coding and compliance.
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: Shared Services
Organization Unit: HIM Hospital Coding
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.
Learn further E-Verify details in E-Verify (English) or E-Verify (Spanish).
UNC Health supports your right to work. View the Right of Work Statement (English) or Right of Work Statement (Spanish).
View the KNOW YOUR RIGHTS (English) or the KNOW YOUR RIGHTS (Spanish)posters.
View the PAY TRANSPARENCY (English) or the PAY TRANSPARENCY (Spanish)Nondiscrimination provision posters.
View the Federal Workplace poster. View our EEO/AA Policy Statement.