Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this summer. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 10025
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Shift: Evening Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Performs a variety of patient testing and administrative tasks in support of the clinical activities in the UNCHCS. Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following: Direct specimen processing Direct specimen Gram stains Rapid antigen testing – Cdiff, Strep, Legionella, Trichomonas, Mono, Crypto Rapid molecular/PCR testing – RSV, Flu, Cdiff, Norovirus, Gram Positive Susceptibility, Respiratory Pathogen Panel COVID testing Total Lab Automation instrumentation (BD Kiestra) Quality control of instruments, reagents, and media
Shift/Hours: Monday-Friday 3:00 pm-11:30pm. Rotating weekends and holidays.
1. Instructs patients in preparing for tests that require fasting. Answers patient questions regarding the tests.
2. Maintains equipment and investigates problems with equipment.
3. May assist in teaching Clinical Laboratory Science students and Pathology residents and training of new employees.
4. May monitor daily operation of laboratory section or work area.
5. May participate on teams or individually perform special projects/assignments.
6. Performs a variety of routine and standardized tests using standard techniques and equipment. Prepares specimens, resolves specimen problems, and performs analytical tests. Labels and stores specimens.
7. Prepares reagents and assists in the preparation of standard and control materials. Monitors levels of reagents and assists in maintaining supplies.
8. Records results of tests and maintains records. Provides test results, reporting deviations from the norm to supervisor or ordering physician.
● Associate's degree in Cilnical Laboratory Science, Medical Laboratory Technician, Chemical Science, or Biological Science.
● If Associate's degree in Clinical Laboratory Science, Medical Laboratory Technician, then must be ASCP or AMT Board of Certification eligible and must receive BOC within a year.
● If Associate's degree in chemical or biological science, Medical Laboratory Technician (ASCP) or MLT (AMT) Board of Certification (BOC) required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● None required.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Microbiology Laboratory
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Evening Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.