Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this winter. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 10246
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Faculty Physicians
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Responsible for day-to-day operations for Ophthalmology Imaging. Provides management direction to Ophthalmic Imaging Specialists. Accountable for Human Resources Management, Patient Care, Clinical Outcomes, Training, Customer Service and Quality/Process Improvement Initiatives to ensure high level of quality consistent with organizational standards. Reports to the Clinic Director. The Manager Ophthalmic for imagining, manages a team of only imagers and is 50% clinical, 50% management.
Description of Job Responsibilities:
1. Manages personnel functions for designated Ophthalmic specialty area(s). Interviews and selects candidates for hiring, coordinates orientation for new staff, develops work plans, conducts performance reviews, and conducts disciplinary action using hospital and departmental personnel guidelines. Manages time and attendance, goal planning, and educational curriculum. Communicates and disseminates general information, and policy or procedure changes to personnel.
2. Performs skilled technical functions, gathering detailed patient history, performing a variety of ophthalmic screening tests and provides initial interpretation of screening tests to the Ophthalmologist. May perform routine and advanced technical procedures involving a variety of sophisticated ophthalmic equipment. May perform ophthalmic imaging procedures for diagnosis, research and documentation. May assist with diagnoses and treatment of eye disorders by performing highly specialized ophthalmic imagery.
3. Coordinates all clinic workflows to ensure maximum efficiency of volume while maintaining exceptional patient care experiences. Facilitates and oversees triage ensuring proper triage is performed for walk-in patients.
4. Oversees the training of all new ophthalmic staff and coordinates continuing education efforts. The manager is responsible for ensuring all staff members are fully competent by assessing skill sets and providing training and/or corrective action when necessary.
5. Assists Director in establishing systems, processes, people, and education that will improve internal and external customer satisfaction and positive results for the team, department, and institution. Leads staff in supporting and mentoring team in customer service excellence. Oversees the review, revision, and implementation of standard operating procedures. May assist in the development of strategic goals and objectives.
6. Ensures accuracy and compliance of patient records with HIPAA. Ensures all ophthalmic staff follow UNC Health Care policies and guidelines. Serves as patients’ advocate to ensure patients’ needs and concerns are addressed.
7. Travel to visit off-site satellite clinics (up to 80 miles round-trip) is required weekly. Reimbursement provided for mileage.
·High School diploma or GED.
·Certification in relevant specialty or field: Certified Ophthalmic Technician (COT), Certified Ophthalmic Medical Technologist (COMT) by the Joint Commission on Allied Health Personnel in Ophthalmology (JCAHPO), CRA, and/or OCT-C preferred.
Professional Experience Requirements:
Three (3) years of experience performing ophthalmic imaging of which two (2) years must be in a supervisory or management capacity.
OR four (4) years of experience performing ophthalmic screening exams and/or imaging with demonstrated leadership experience such as: leading projects, training colleagues, functioning as a team lead, monitoring flow, assisting with staff schedules.
Bachelors in photography or related science preferred but not required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Requirements:
Strong communication, leadership, organizational, computer and analytical skills. Ability to build and maintain collaborative relationships at all levels.
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Faculty Physicians
Organization Unit: UNC Eye Carolina Crossing
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.