Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current employees, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For employee referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 10435
Location: Raleigh, NC
Facility/Division: UNC REX Healthcare
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 30,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The Controlled Substances Assessment Program is lead by a team within the Department of Pharmacy with a focus on regulation and surveillance of appropriate management and storage of medications classified as controlled substances with the hospital. The team currently consists of a pharmacist and Pharmacy Auditor working closely with the Department’s leadership team and multidisciplinary leadership team across the hospital involved in the prevention and reaction to drug diversion. The successful candidate will gather, interpret, share, and broadly influence clinical, operational, and financial data important to controlled substances management and diversion detection and prevention across the Medical Center and UNC HCS. Analytics systems utilized in this position will include, but are not limited to:
1. Diversion Surveillance Software
2. Microsoft Excel and Access
3. Automated dispensing data
4. SAP Business Objects
5. Wholesaler and group purchasing data
6. University Health System Consortium - Clinical Data Base/Resource Manager
7. EPIC Health Records
Additionally, this position will interface closely with business analysts in the Pharmacy Analytics team for data warehousing needs related to controlled substances, including working with the Information Services Division to identify existing data fields that require warehousing and warehousing external data sources.
DESCRIPTION OF JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Work independently in Excel platform to accurately review, merge and interpret data from multiple data sources (EPIC/BO, KP, WorkForce Management).
2. Monitor and assist in resolution of controlled substances discrepancies working with Pharmacy, Nursing and Anesthesia staff and leadership for timely reconciliation.
3. Review and investigate medication transaction reports, safety reports and Hospital Police reports, etc analyzing data findings for patterns indicative of drug diversion or identification of gaps in workflow that can lead to drug diversion.
4. Collect, review, track and trend data from multiple information sources including but not limited to the medication dispensing and administration pathways, time and attendance etc, and incorporate findings to build an accurate, objective and comprehensive audit.
5. Build data visuals that accurately depict findings from audits that are shared with Departmental leadership, and be able to accurately articulate case findings, providing follow-up data in a timely manner when requested.
6. Present audits flagged as potential for controlled substances diversion to Departmental leadership and Controlled Substances Assessment Team and lead closeout of investigation.
7. Manage multiple audits and accurately and consistently track outcomes in multiple records.
8. Recognize and communicate areas of concern to supervisor regarding controlled substances management discovered during routine report review and surveillance and investigation process.
9. Work with Pharmacy Auditor team member to develop recurring controlled substances reports, dashboards, and key performance indicators and metrics that can be used for drug diversion surveillance and/or provide enhanced insight and improve organizational decision-making
10. Maintain a broad knowledge of data warehouses and work with Pharmacy Analytics team for data warehousing projects related to controlled substances data needs
PREFERRED SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES
• Ability to work in a team environment
• Strong knowledge of Excel
• Strong desire to proactively learn how to use new, potentially complex, software to support the team
• Strong, detail-oriented, and consistent communication (written and verbal), organizational, prioritization, and project management skills
• Provide high level of accuracy consistently
• Ability to demonstrate independent proficiency in auditing, data analysis and reporting, and data warehousing
● Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Health Care Administration or related field
● No licensure or certification required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Requires one (1) year of experience in auditing , or related duties involved in medication discrepancy monitoring, surveillance and investigation.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Ability to work in a team environment•Strong knowledge of Excel•Strong desire to proactively learn how to use new, potentially complex, software to support the team•Strong, detail-oriented, and consistent communication (written and verbal), organizational, prioritization, and project management skills•Provide high level of accuracy consistently•Ability to demonstrate independent proficiency in auditing, data analysis and reporting, and data warehousing
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: UNC REX Healthcare
Organization Unit: Rex IP Pharmacy
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Raleigh
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.