Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this summer. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 10127
Location: Raleigh, NC
Facility/Division: UNC REX Healthcare
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The Sr. Finance and Strategic Planning Analyst is the lead analyst in the Corporate Finance department. This position represents the department at key internal and external meetings and routinely interacts with all levels of senior management. The Sr. Analyst is responsible for informal supervision of junior finance analysts and facilitating departmental goals as directed by the Director of Corporate Finance. This position oversees the annual operations and capital budget, monthly variance analysis in support of the month end close process, and creates and distributes high level financial analysis and financial models to assist senior management with operations and finance decisions. Work involves a high level of independent judgment, decision-making, accuracy, creativity and initiative.
1. Presents financial analysis to executive leadership at monthly VP and President/CFO meetings. Ability to respond independently to senior leadership inquiries.
2. Supervises the junior analysts and directs daily workflow in conjunction with the Director. Participates in the annual review process by providing feedback for junior analysts.
3. Oversees the preparation of the annual operating and capital budget, in coordination with the Director. Specific area of focus will be forecasting revenues and expenses and facilitating the evaluation/inclusion of proposed business plans in the operating and capital budgets. Leads the departmental budget trainings and serves as the point of contact to managers and directors during budget preparation.
4. Conducts complex analysis on large data sets and develops regular and ad-hoc reports and for hospital leadership to assist in the decision-making process.
5. Forecasts revenues and expenses and researches ways to enhance hospital revenues and control costs. Assists in the implementation of financial improvements and tracks achievement of objectives.
6. Designs and creates complex, dynamic financial models to facilitate decision-making by senior leadership. Identifies trends and opportunities for gaining competitive advantage in the marketplace. Researches, collects, manipulates and analyzes data; draws inferences, summarizes and presents key findings to Management for assigned topics.
7. Creates and evaluates cash flow models using NPV analysis for business planning for potential new service lines and business units. Maintains the organization's financial forecast models and administers the financial reporting system.
8. Manages cross-functional teams to produce business plans for new business initiatives and operational improvements for review by Management. Includes conducting financial feasibility studies, preparing project plans, analyzing potential operations, and identifying steps for implementation.
9. Assists in the compilation of market and operational analyses in coordination with department Leadership, to support the budget and strategic planning process. Includes collecting, organizing, and interpreting large quantities of complex data.
10. Serves as a liaison between the department and clinical service line teams, representing the resources of the Department and providing specialist knowledge in assigned area of expertise. Develops and maintains positive working relationships with internal and external clients.
11. Monitors development of annual State Medical Facilities Plan, Licensure and Facilities rules and other regulations affecting health care planning. Designs models to demonstrate impact of regulatory changes and proposes strategic alternatives to departmental leadership. Drafts narrative and analytical arguments for certificate of need applications and other requests to regulatory agencies.
12. Assesses competitor service development and performance. Identifies and compiles operating and financial data on key competitors and provides trend analyses and ad-hoc reports of statistics. Evaluates internal and external data on physician activity, identifying trends and opportunities for improvements in volume and revenue. Creates and updates trend reports of physician practice for operational and physician relations staff. Develops, implements and reports on surveys of physician satisfaction, consumer trends, and internal surveys as necessary. Prepares evaluation of vendor proposals and makes recommendations to department Leadership.
13. Assesses new business plan development and performance. Compares operating and financial data on business plans in implementation and reports on their performance against projections.
14. Reviews organization’s financial reports, identifying trends and opportunities for performance improvement. Compares key financial indicators to those of competitors.
● Master's degree (M.A.) or equivalent; MBA, MHA, or MPH with experience in healthcare planning or financial analysis is preferred.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● With a Master's Degree, four (4) years of related experience and/or training.
● With a Bachelor's Degree, eight (8) years of related experience and/or training.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: UNC REX Healthcare
Organization Unit: Rex Finance
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Raleigh
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.