Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this summer. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 10494
Location: Morrisville, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Physicians Network
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
UNC Health Alliance is UNC Health’s statewide clinically integrated network and population health services organization. The mission of this team is to transform healthcare delivery on behalf of more than 7,200 providers by offering patient-centered solutions to populations covered under alternative payment models. Joining this team means you will work closely with providers, practices, payers, business leaders, and community partners to improve the quality and accessibility of care while lowering the cost of care for patients, payers, and businesses. We are a growing team looking for top talent to help us with creative solutions that improve patient care and help make healthcare more affordable. Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The purpose of this position is to provide ongoing support and expertise through comprehensive assessment, planning, implementation and overall evaluation of individual patient needs. The overall goal of the position is to enhance the quality of patient management and satisfaction, to promote continuity of care and cost effectiveness through the integrating and functions of case management, utilization review and discharge planning. The Care Manager must be highly organized professional with great attention to detail, adaptable to frequent change, and compliant with regulatory and departmental guidelines and policies.
This position will be embedded in UNC Primary Care Cary, UNC Family Medicine at Kildaire and UNC Family Medicine at Fuquay Varina clinics.
1. Identify Cases & Prioritize Day - Review work list to prioritize patients and identify new admissions. Conduct and document assessment and a plan of care in Epic™ per departmental guidelines. Participate in Daily Care Management Touchpoint per established protocols. Consult to SW per established criteria. If indicated, communicate with Care Management Assistant (CMA) to share priorities.
2. CAPP Meeting - Attend and actively participate in CAPP meetings for assigned units to provide and receive information on patients’ progression. Alert care team to concerns that could impact anticipated discharge of the patient and any care that will assist with discharge readiness. Modify discharge plan based on information shared at the meeting. Assist with identification of the expected discharge date (EDD). Complete follow-up from CAPP as appropriate. As necessary meet with the Utilization Manager (UM) and SW after the meeting to discuss updates and action items.
3. Complex Care Meeting - Attend weekly Complex Care Meeting (CCM). Present on patients during CCM and collaborate to problem solve issues with complex patients and identify trends. Formulate potential solutions with Utilization Manager and Social Worker and continuously monitor cases/follow up on all action items. Proactively identify high risk cases that need to be escalated to the list that are not scheduled for discussion that week. Complete CCM follow-up after the meeting as assigned.
4. Active Consults - Discuss with appropriate members of the multidisciplinary team when there are barriers to discharge and psychosocial concerns impacting progression of care or readmission risk. Coordinate family meetings, as necessary, to support the progression of care. Provide education on community resources, support/educational groups, and any other appropriate resources to patient, family, and care team. Educate and/or coordinate referrals to community resources and post-acute providers as necessary.
5. Care Progression and Transition Planning - Communicate medical milestones for transition with the patient/family. Identify patients with barriers to discharge based on experience, Communication and Patient Planning (CAPP) Meetings and/or Complex Care Meeting (CCM). Monitor all observation patients throughout the day to ensure appropriate progression of care. Identify patient’s readiness to discharge based on discussions with the patient/family/care team on an ongoing basis. Assess the discharge plan to determine needs post-discharge and communicate to patient/family/care team on an ongoing basis. Identify required authorization for post-discharge services and refer to the appropriate post-discharge service provider. Participate in medication resource management for non-resourced patients, as needed. Verify patient’s understanding/agreement of discharge plan. Refer administrative tasks (e.g., faxing, form processing) to Care Management Assistant. Consult Social Worker and/or Utilization Manager per established departmental protocol. Maintain knowledge of patient needs and concerns through scheduled touch points and review of documentation . Escalate urgent or complex cases to appropriate Care Management leadership according to established departmental escalation process.
6. Professionalism - Demonstrates flexibility and professionalism in a dynamic environment with frequent re-ordering of priorities and assignments. Uses critical thinking skills to evaluate and prioritize rapidly changing demands, working collaboratively to best accomplish the team’s mission.
7. Documentation - Documents activities, events, and information per standards in established software systems in a timely, accurate, and complete manner. Identifies Avoidable Delays and documents causes for delay consistent with department standards.
8. Confidentiality - Uses established policies and processes to handle, discuss, and transmit protected health information in manner consistent with privacy and compliance expectations and policies.
9. Compliance and Performance Improvement - Uses departmental guidelines and job aids to perform work in an accurate, compliant manner consistent with known and written expectations and work rules. Participates in process improvement initiatives, which may include helping with the creation/revision of guidelines, training tools, and job aids. Maintains current knowledge of institutional and departmental expectations for job performance through attendance at meetings, review of meeting minutes and guidance documents, and independent review of institutional and departmental policies and guidelines as needed. May assist with training/pre-cepting as needed as assigned.
● Graduation from a state-accredited school of professional nursing.
● If hired after October 1, 2015 must be enrolled in an accredited program within four years of employment, and obtain a Bachelor's degree with a major in Nursing or a Master's degree with a major in Nursing within seven years of employment date.
● Licensed to practice as a Registered Nurse in the state of North Carolina.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Two (2) years of health care experience as a Registered Nurse.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Strong assessment and critical thinking skills
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: Health Alliance
Organization Unit: Pop Health-UNCPN Care Mgmt
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Morrisville
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.