Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this winter. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 11186
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: Shared Services
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 30,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
This position reports to the HCS Supervisor Coding and CDI Quality and Training.
● Associate degree in Health Information Management or related field or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
● Successful completion of the UNC HCS IP or OP Coder Proficiency Test as applicable.
● Must have one of the following: - AHIMA (American Health Information Management Association) certification and credential - AAPC (American Academy of Professional Coders) certification and credential
Professional Experience Requirements:
● If Associate’s degree: Five (5) years of experience in medical coding or acute care.
● If High School Diploma: Nine (9) years of experience in medical coding or acute care.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Strong knowledge of ICD-10/PCS/CPT/HCPCS coding and billing compliance (MS-DRGs/IPPS, APC/OPPS) with excellent analytical and data mining skills. Ability to effectively participate and supervise projects, plan and implement programs, and evaluate outcomes. Ability to effectively work directly with various levels of staff (including on-site and remote) as well as manage vendor relationships and expectations. Must possess strong communication skills, both written and verbal. Exhibits effective organizational skills, time management, and management of multiple priorities. Ability to make effective and persuasive presentations on complex topics to management and physicians. Ability to teach and mentor coders and physicians on complex coding systems. Ability to have an excellent balance of being highly productive and yet produce high quality work. Must be able to create strong argument based on solid coding guidelines in generating appeals. Ability to interpret federal and state regulations as they relate to coding and compliance.
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: Shared Services
Organization Unit: HIM Coding & CDI Quality
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.