Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this winter. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 10964
Location: Raleigh, NC
Facility/Division: UNC REX Healthcare
Status: Full Time
Shift: Night Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The UNC REX Labor and Delivery OR cares for patients during labor, delivery and recovery post-childbirth. They also care for high risk antepartum and postpartum patients. This unit consists of a 3 bay OBED, 20 labor rooms, 3 ORs, and 3 PACU bays. Nurses on our unit circulate C-sections on expectant mothers, working with Physicians and the support of Nursing Assistants and Surgical Technicians. UNC REX has a dedicated team of OB Hospitalists who provide fast care and assessment or emergency services for patients during pregnancy or labor and delivery. We also partner with many private practice OB/GYNs and CNMs.
Surgical Technologists (ST) are allied health professionals who assist in the preparation and care of surgical patients ranging from infancy to geriatrics under the general direction of a professional nurse. The ST possesses expertise in the theory and application of sterile aseptic technique and combines the knowledge of human anatomy, surgical procedures, and implementation tools and technologies to facilitate a surgeon's performance of invasive, therapeutic, and diagnostic procedures. The ST who has a dual function in the operating room and the ambulatory setting demonstrates competency in the care of surgical patients preoperatively and postoperatively in the ambulatory surgical clinic setting.
1. SURGICAL TECHNOLOGIST I-A (New Hire/Novice) 1. New graduate with up to 12 months of full-time equivalent experience. 2. Perform all responsibilities in a manner that demonstrates Service Excellence towards patients, physicians, peers and other departments. Assume responsibility for upholding the policies and procedures of the department and organization. 3. Demonstrates eagerness to learn, takes direction, adapts to changes within unit, and demonstrates consistent progress toward Surgical Technologist 1-B. 4. Establishes and maintains sterile field and assures team maintains sterile environment. Demonstrate and practice a good understanding of sterile technique. 5. Has a basic knowledge of instrumentations. Prepare Operating Room with appropriate instrumentation, equipment and supplies. 6. Demonstrates correct and safe instrumentation passing and performs sponge, needle and instrument counts in a safe and accurate manner according to established policy. 7. Maintain technical skills to serve a patient population composed of infancy to geriatric clients. 8. Take calls and rotate shifts as required under the direction of a registered nurse. 9. Ability to work effectively and efficiently under pressure in a stressful environment, and often without relief. 10. Ability to demonstrate knowledge of anatomy relating to the surgical procedure and the instrumentation required in order to effectively anticipate the needs of the surgeon. 11. Ability to set priorities and respond appropriately to actual and/or potential life threatening situations. For Surgical Technologists with a dual role in an ambulatory environment, additional responsibilities may include prepare patients for examinations and procedures in the surgical clinic setting assist the physician during patient examination and procedures in the clinic collect and label laboratory specimens for processing reinforce postoperative instructions under direction of physician or RN assist with incoming and outgoing patient calls under supervision of physician or RN remove sutures/ staples, change sterile and nonsterile dressings, following UNCHS policies and procedures, under direction of RN or physician perform other clinical functions as delegated and supervised by the RN or physician schedule and post-surgical cases coordinate complex scheduling of cases which require additional surgical support update and file patient medical records.
2. SURGICAL TECHNOLOGIST I-B (Competent) Perform all the duties and responsibilities of Surgical Technologist 1-A, plus Achieves target of room readiness on a consistent basis. Serve as a role model to new employees and other staff members. Establish and maintain sterile field and assure team maintains sterile environment independently. Anticipate the needs of the surgical team. Applies intermediate knowledge of instrumentation to several cases. Demonstrate appropriate and correct case preparation. Competent at unit level. Corrects deficiencies at the case level. Communicate effectively with patients, staff members and physicians. Adherence to standards including but not limited to unit and hospital policies and procedures, regulatory standards, and patient safety goals. Assume responsibility for self and ensures that the policies, procedures and safety practices of the Operating Room and Hospital are reinforced.
● Requires High School Diploma. Graduation from a Surgical Technology program.
● BLS required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Surgical Technologist I-A: Entry level position for new graduates of Surgical Technology program or Surgical Technologists with less than twelve (12) months of outside experience.
● Surgical Technologist I-B: Requires twelve (12) months of full-time equivalent Surgical Technology experience.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: UNC REX Healthcare
Organization Unit: Rex Labor Delivery Operatng Rm
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 36.00
Work Schedule: Night Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Raleigh
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.