Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this winter. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 10254
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: Shared Services
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Performs technical work in obtaining Medicaid/Social Security (SSI) insurance coverage for indigent patients to expedite reimbursement for medical services. Positions take the patient through the entire Medicaid application process from application to award or denial. Positions have authority to represent the Health Care System at each of the four levels of appeals when applications are denied.
1. Obtains detailed personal, financial and asset information to determine if patient qualifies for one of ten Medicaid/SSI programs. Completes or assists the patient with completion of Medicaid application. Explains the programs and advises patients of methods to become eligible by rearranging finances and assets. Follows through with applicants to obtain accurate and complete information within strict timeframes. Positions must have substantive knowledge of various rules and regulations governing the ten Medicaid programs. Interprets and applies frequent changes in program regulations to expedite applications.
2. Reviews denials from Medicaid/SSI and researches denial information with patients. Advocates for patient coverage with local and state Medicaid offices to obtain reversal of initial denial. Abstracts information, prepares appeals and represents UNC Health Care System in appeal hearings at local, state (Division of Medical Assistance), Office of Administrative Hearings, and state court to present supportive evidence for patients' denial reversal.
● Associate's degree in an appropriate discipline (or equivalent combination of education, training and experience).
● No licensure or certification required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● If an Associate's degree: Two (2) years of experience in a social services or healthcare organization.
● If a High School diploma or GED: Four (4) years of experience in a social services or healthcare organization.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Analytical, Customer Service, Direct Patient/Family Interaction/ Hospital/Healthcare Experience, Interpersonal, Report Preparation, Strong Written and Verbal Communication skills.
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: Shared Services
Organization Unit: Medicaid Eligibility
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.