Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this winter. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 10577
Location: Lenoir, NC
Facility/Division: Shared Services
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The Clinical Documentation Specialist will be responsible for analyzing and auditing medical records concurrently to ensure that the clinical information within the medical record is specific, accurate, clinical valid, complete, and compliant. In addition, the Clinical Documentation Specialist will be responsible for educating physicians, non-physician clinicians, nurses, and other staff to facilitate documentation within the medical record that reflects the most accurate severity of illness, expected risk of mortality, hospital acquired conditions, patient safety indicators, hierarchical condition categories, and level of service rendered. This position will report to the Health Care System Supervisor of Clinical Documentation Integrity.
1. Perform concurrent inpatient reviews and facilitates appropriate clinical documentation to support the severity of illness, expected risk of mortality, hospital acquired conditions, patient safety indicators, and complexity of care rendered to all patients. Perform outpatient reviews and facilitate appropriate clinical documentation to support the severity of illness, hierarchical condition categories, and complexity of care rendered to all patients.
2. Accurately assign the working MS-DRG, ICD-10-CM codes, ICD-10-PCS codes, CPT Codes, and HCPCS codes in accordance with the Official Coding Guidelines, and third party payer, state and federal regulations. Utilize the compliant query process according to guidelines, policy, and the AHIMA Standards of Practice. Communicate and collaborate with clinical and non-clinical staff to expedite the resolution of documentation clarification queries.
3. Provide effective education using tools and during rounds and meetings (as required). Support the goals of Clinical Documentation Integrity by building relationships and promoting the importance of documentation. Encourage open dialogue. Respond to questions, concerns, and requests promptly.
4. Compliantly follow workflow processes and competently utilize software systems to ensure accurate data collection and effectiveness of the Clinical Documentation Integrity (CDI) activities for reporting outcomes.
5. Demonstrate responsibility for professional growth and development by actively learning and participating in the continuing education offerings provided. Maintain competence in documentation requirements, coding guidelines, and quality measures.
● Associate's degree in Health Information Management, Nursing or related field.
● Successful completion of the Clinical Documentation Specialist Proficiency Test.
● Must have one of the following: - AHIMA (American Health Information Management Association) certification - AAPC (American Academy of Professional Coders) certification - RN (Registered Nurse) license - LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) license - Advance Practice Provider (NP or PA) license- Medical Doctor (MD) license
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Three (3) years of inpatient/outpatient facility medical coding or acute/ambulatory care experience
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Strong knowledge of medical record documentation requirements and coding guidelines in accordance with third party payer, state and federal regulations, or strong acute/ambulatory care clinical knowledge of clinical indicators, disease processes, and treatment. Must possess strong communication skills, both written and verbal. Exhibit effective organizational skills, time management, management of multiple priorities, as well as, strong presentation skills. Strong critical thinking and sound judgement in decision making.
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: Shared Services
Organization Unit: HIM CDI
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Lenoir
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.