Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this winter. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 11550
Location: Morrisville, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Physicians Network
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
UNC Health Alliance is UNC Health’s statewide clinically integrated network and population health services organization. The mission of this team is to transform healthcare delivery on behalf of more than 7,200 providers by offering patient-centered solutions to populations covered under alternative payment models. Joining this team means you will work closely with providers, practices, payers, business leaders, and community partners to improve the quality and accessibility of care while lowering the cost of care for patients, payers, and businesses. We are a growing team looking for top talent to help us with creative solutions that improve patient care and help make healthcare more affordable. Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
UNC Family Medicine at Fuquay and UNC Family Medicine at Apex offices
The Clinical Dietitian II works closely with the multidisciplinary healthcare team to coordinate evidence based medical nutrition therapy that is integrated and compatible with the patient focused medical goals. Primary responsibilities include application of the Nutrition Care Process (NCP), through nutrition focused physical exam. Nutrition/malnutrition assessment, nutrition diagnosis, interventions, monitoring and evaluating of the patient's progress. The Clinical Dietitian II uses practice-specific dietetics and as available and evidence based practice protocols/nutrition practice guidelines to help determine nutrition intervention. The Clinical Dietitian II has extensive
knowledge in the area of clinical practice as evidenced by years of experience
and/or specialty certification(s) noted in the requirements listed below. The Clinical Dietitian II performs business functions, such as management of resources in a cost-effective manner, and participates in compliance and quality performance improvement efforts to ensure that nutrition care is safe and effective. The Clinical Dietitian II is an integral partof the multidisciplinary team, serving as a resource on nutrition management of the clinical practice area(s) is involved in team conferences provides nutrition-related in-services and contributes to the development and revision of hospital policies. The Clinical Dietitian II also may be involved in community-based nutrition programs and maintains professional competency and skills required for professional practice. The Clinical Dietitian II precepts interns and supports, models and trains clinical dietitians in the core behaviors and responsibilities of the department and organization.
1. Assesses nutritional needs using standardized practice and critical thinking. Identifies nutrient requirements according to age, disease and individual needs for assigned patients. Demonstrates clinical and age specific competency as evidenced by clinical competency tools, forms, chart audits, tests, observation, etc.
2. Acts as a resource person for the clinical team assigned and serves as a liaison between other medical specialties and ancillary services.
3. Assists in achieving compliance with the Joint Commission, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, Healthcare Facilities Accreditation Program (HFAP), or other accrediting agency standards to continuously improve the safety and quality of care to the public and to the organization’s performance improvement.
4. Attends medical rounds, patient care conferences, and continuing education/staff meetings. Participates in quality improvement initiatives and cross training.
5. Develops, implements, and monitors nutrition care plans and participates in the discharge planning process. Provides education using established behavioral change techniques.
6. May lead, direct, and manage the work assigned to others within the department. Documents all aspects of nutrition care in the medical record. Demonstrates compliance with regulatory agency standards as evidenced by timely completion of clinical nutrition workload as evidenced by chart audits and organizational / regulatory agency surveys.
7. Creates/updates evidence based protocols in area of clinical practice and trains others in order to ensure medical nutrition therapy practices are current and meet established guidelines.
8. Identifies needs for professional development and mentors others in area of clincal practice. Participates in the training of clinical nutrition intern by acting as preceptor throughout the year as assigned.
9. Participates in clinical research, on-the-job training, or QI projects as pertains to clinical practice area. Leads efforts to continually understand and measure quality of the clinical area practice in terms of structures, process, content, and outcomes. Designs and tests interventions to change process and systems of specialty practice area with the objective of improving quality outcomes. Serves on cross functional quality teams.
● Bachelor’s degree at a US regionally accredited university or college and course work accredited or approved by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND) of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
● Completion of a Coordinated Program in Dietetics or Dietetic Internship accredited by ACEND (Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics) of no less than 900 hours (1200 hours for graduates of programs beginning 2012)
● Registered Dietitian (RD) by The Commission of Dietetic Registration (CDR)
● Licensed as a Dietitian/Nutritionist (LDN) by the North Carolina Board of Dietetics and Nutrition. (Certain positions may allow licensure to be obtained within one (1) month from date of hire).
● If less than five (5) years of experience, certification in area of clinical specialty (e.g., CDE, CNSC, CNSD, CSR, CSP, CSSD, CSGN, CLE, BCLE, etc.) or advanced degree or approved to practice in specialized roles where certification does not exist is required. (Certain positions may allow specialty certification to be obtained within six (6) months from date of hire or next offered exam date for those who have obtained educational preparation for certification.)
● Some positions may require appropriate credentialing for billing purposes (e.g., NPI, Medicare/Medicaid Provider, BCBSNC Provider) to be obtained within one (1) month from date of hire.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Three (3) years as an RD with two (2) of those years' experience in area of clinical specialty or three (3) years nutrition experience in a tertiary care, teaching hospital and certification in specialty area or advanced degree is required.
Five (5) years of experience as an RD
Must maintain certification until RD has at least 5 years of experience (or longer if required for certain positions i.e. Nutrition Support Team) or have at least five (5) years of experience as an RD.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● •Knowledge of the Nutrition Care Process and ability to apply all steps of the process.
• Comprehensive knowledge and application of medical nutrition therapy.
• Understands and can implement Motivational Interviewing
• Critical thinking to integrate facts, informed opinion, active listening, and observations.
• Decision making, problem solving, and collaboration.
• Ability to communicate effectively in both written and verbal form to patients, public, hospital and medical staff, and physicians.
• Ability to function independently on assigned patient care units.
• Ability to counsel and educate others.
• General knowledge of nutrient analysis, word processing, and spreadsheet software.
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: UNC Physicians Network
Organization Unit: Pop Health-UNCPN Care Mgmt
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Morrisville
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.