Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this winter. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 8610
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Emergency Medical Technician needed for Carolina Air Care Transport
Provides safe and timely transport of medical crew and patients. Work may involve routine transport or may be performed under stressful situations requiring quick transport. Location of work may be at various bases throughout central North Carolina and is a 36 hours per week; 12 hour rotating shift position. Prefer prior experience working with a critical care transport team and must be able to lift 150 pounds with assistance.
This is 36 hours per week; 12 hours shifts D/N rotation and weekends.
1. Communicates with crew and other emergency personnel over UHF and VHF radios, pagers, and cellular phones regarding location, patient status, and other relevant information. Utilizes the ground operator's communication book daily.
2. Completes all preventative maintenance. Ensures adequate fuel in vehicles performs daily checks of vehicles and maintains cleanliness of ambulances. Maintains familiarity with vehicle safety manuals.
3. Completes logs, checklists and reports related to activities, vehicle status and maintenance. Ensures continuity of service by participating in shift change debriefings.
4. Ensures that equipment is in a state of mission readiness. Corrects or arranges for repair of any malfunctioning equipment.
5. Maintains awareness of road conditions and entire response area, sharing knowledge of changing conditions with co-workers.
6. May serve as lead worker or take on specialized equipment maintenance responsibilities.
7. Participates in departmental meetings and programs, including Quality Improvement, Marketing and Outreach, and Safety.
8. Transports medical crew and ill or injured patients in emergency vehicles while complying with North Carolina State Law, the operating policies of UNC Air Care and Ground Transport Services, and manufacturer's specifications.
● High School diploma or GED
● Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) certification
● Valid NC Driver's license
● BLS Certification.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● One (1) year of EMT experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: RDU Ground
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 36.00
Work Schedule: Variable
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.