Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this winter. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 11418
Location: Raleigh, NC
Facility/Division: UNC REX Healthcare
Status: Per Diem
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Provides a variety of diagnostic ultrasound procedures (invasive and non-invasive) interprets a variety of ultrasound examinations ranging from routine OB/GYN, vascular, abdomen and small body parts to intra-cavity and color Doppler and a variety of biopsies.
Work hours: PRN position variable shifts, position supports holiday team rotations
1. Completes all relevant worksheets. Gives accurate impressions of exams performed. Deletes all unnecessary image data. Maintains image management equipment. Utilizes PACS system for obtaining additional study data. Completes routine comments and details findings on abnormal ultrasounds in the sonographer comment section. Generates coherent, accurate and complete computerized ultrasound data. Assures that data transfer is complete and accurate. Evaluates previous ultrasounds for comparison prior to performing ultrasound examination. Familiarity with R4 reporting system, (ie ability to edit, merge studies etc.)
2. Ensures safe and appropriate procedure environment (Includes ultrasound equipment checks, transducer check, QA of equipment, cleanliness). Maintain supply inventory for department. Maintains a clean work environment Responsible for inspection and maintenance of ultrasound and computer equipment and supplies in a clean and orderly fashion. Immediate notification of supervisor of need for supplies or equipment repair/maintenance. Probes are appropriately sterilized/cleaned after use. Uses technical knowledge to assist in actively troubleshooting work unit problems with respect to equipment and protocols
3. Evaluates requisition and patient information to determine appropriateness of procedure (Patient ID clinical symptoms lab values chart information). Collaborate and plan the workday and patient flow with fellow sonographers and clerical support staff. Reviews patient's chart and films for correlation. Regularly consults daily schedule. Reviews patient's prior studies for correlation. Regularly consults daily schedule. Screens exam indications to insure appropriate orders. Screens exam indications to insure level of testing. Precept new employees and students.
4. Performs diagnostic ultrasound procedures including assessment of patient history, documentation of anatomy and pathology. Producing and summarizing documentation of procedure findings. Transfer pt. data to storage/network devises. Attendance and active participation required at regularly scheduled departmental ultrasound conferences and in-unit quality assurance unit updates.CME sufficient to maintain RDMS certification. Self reading and education to remain abreast of new developments in ultrasound findings and technology Generates preliminary clinical diagnosis. Works with physicians on final diagnosis. Demonstrates a thorough knowledge of all aspects of Ultrasound Obtains RDMS credentials and maintains """"Active Status"""" Performs work in a timely manner. Produces accurate images and impressions
5. Ultrasound guidance for procedures. Demonstrates ability to provide ultrasound guidance for various procedures including sonohysterograms, CVS, amniocentesis and fetal procedures including bladder and pleural tap. Demonstrates appropriate setup, supplies and patient preparation for procedure. Displays awareness of needle/catheter location, positioning
● Completion of a twelve (12) month program in Diagnostic Medical Sonography or General Ultrasound.
● RDMS registered by the American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (ARDMS) or registry eligible and become registered within one (1) year from date of hire. Must maintain registry status and continuing education requirements annually.
● Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Provider certification
Professional Experience Requirements:
● No prior experience required.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: UNC REX Healthcare
Organization Unit: Rex Ultrasound
Work Type: Per Diem
Standard Hours Per Week: 4.00
Work Schedule: Variable
Location of Job: US:NC:Raleigh
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.