Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this winter. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 11162
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Cardiac Surveillance Tech needed for Cardiac Surveillance. This position monitors telemetry patients, ensuring telemetry is applied correctly. This position has the responsibility of monitoring and interpreting cardiac rhythms and SpO2. Collaborates with all members of the interdisciplinary health care team to promote patient safety and meet emergency needs. Reports problems, variances, etc. to the charge nurse with written follow-up to the nurse manager. This unit centrally monitors the rhythms of adult patients on multiple units across the UNC System. 18 months cardiac rhythm interpretation experience is strongly preferred.
This is a 36 hours per week position; working 12 hour rotating shifts (7am-7:30pm and 7pm-7:30am) with weekend and holiday rotation. This position qualifies for an extensive benefit package including PTO hours, which are accrued based on the number of worked hours. This position requires the ability to attend a week long orientation (Monday through Friday, 7:30am-5:00pm) which is offered every two weeks.
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The Cardiovascular Surveillance Technician assists the professional caregiver in the care of patients by monitoring cardiac rhythms. They may also watch pulse oximetry and perform EKG’s when necessary. The Cardio- Vascular Surveillance Technician ensures that Hospital's philosophy, standards, policies and procedures are met and maintained in a professional manner.
1. Adheres to policies, procedures, all safety plans, and all standards of the organizations.
2. Ensures patient safety at all times by notifying the nurse of any risk factors seen initiating and maintaining appropriate safety measures as outlined in policies and procedures.
3. Demonstrates proper performance of skills reflected and validated by the Monitor Technician competency checklist.
4. Documents and interprets patient’s heart rhythm and rate by utilizing telemetry recordings.
5. Obtains six second strip as indicated by patient condition and uploads strips for further evaluation.
6. Identifies patient arrhythmias/abnormalities or significant changes from baseline and reports changes immediately to the assigned nurse.
7. Monitors patient pulse oximetry as appropriate. Communicates changes from baseline and reports changes immediately to the assigned nurse.
8. Monitors patients cardiac rhythm and pulse oximetry in the intermediate care units and ICU’s as appropriate.
9. Educates staff and/or patients on cardiology technical procedures and equipment. Teaches telemetry principles to patients and family as needed. Precepts new telemetry technicians as necessary.
10. Operates cardiovascular diagnostic or therapeutic equipment as needed.
11. Prepares reports, inputs test results into database, and documents procedures as appropriate.
12. Exchanges routine information in an appropriate manner requiring good oral communication skills.
13. Ensures that all equipment is clean and in working order. Troubleshoots basic problems with equipment and refers it for resolution if unable to resolve the problem.
14. Properly plans/organizes work for assigned shift to properly utilize time, resources, manpower, supplies to ensure patient receives appropriate quality care.
● High School diploma or GED. Basic knowledge of Cardiac Rhythms and successful completion of EKG class preferred.
● BLS Certification Required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● At least six (6) months of clinical experience in a health care setting required.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Must be fluent in verbal and written English language. Capability to learn interpretation and respond protocols to ECG / SP 02 monitor system and to develop computer skills must be demonstrated if not competent must complete successful skills verification for ECG interpretation, monitor system, and HUC responsibilities within defined time parameters.
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Cardiac Surveillance
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 36.00
Work Schedule: Rotating
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.