Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this winter. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 11013
Location: Hillsborough, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Per Diem
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
This position provides patient care and technical services to adult and pediatric dialysis patients under the supervision of a Registered Nurse or Nephrology Attending Physician.
1. Assembles and prepares all necessary supplies and equipment for dialysis treatment. Cleans and disinfects equipment after completion of treatment. Performs weekly and monthly disinfection of portable ROs; reporting equipment malfunctions. Assist with machine set-up and breakdown during turnover between shifts.
2. Checks main RO water every 4 hours and completes checklist.
3. Obtains patients’ post dialysis vital signs and weights.
4. Maintains inventory of supplies, ordering when necessary. Keeps closets and storage areas net and orderly. Receives shipments of supplies from outside vendors. Maintains sharps containers and ensure they are dispose of in a timely manner.
5. Monitors patient conditions during dialysis treatment to include obtaining vital signs and machine parameters. Monitors and adjusts blood flow rates and transmembrane pressures. Participates in responding to dialysis complications. Troubleshoots machine alarms to assist RN in Main Unit and ICU.
6. Prepares patient for dialysis treatment to include obtaining and recording vital signs. Inspects access site and reports to nursing staff. Cleans and dresses access site as required. Draws blood sample from patient. Cannulates blood vessels for dialysis access.
● High School diploma or GED
● Certified Hemodialysis Practitioner by Bonent or Certified Clinical Hemodialysis Technician by the Nephrology Nursing Certification Commission.
● Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Provider certification
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Two (2) years of hospital related experience (patient care, equipment, or laboratory), with one (1) year of hemodialysis experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Dialysis - In House
Work Type: Per Diem
Standard Hours Per Week: 6.00
Work Schedule: Variable
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.