Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this winter. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 11617
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: Shared Services
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
In this in-house counsel role, the attorney will be responsible for providing legal advice and representation to UNC Health Care System (“UNC Health”) relating to all aspects of litigation in federal, state and administrative courts. This attorney will collaborate with other attorneys in the office, the N.C. Attorney General’s Office and outside counsel on litigation involving UNC Health or its affiliates. This position will require appearances in court and discovery matters on behalf of UNC Health. In some instances, this attorney could be designated “first chair” in multiple matters at one time. This attorney may also provide general legal advice and services in support of the operations of UNC Health and its affiliated hospitals and entities. This attorney will be expected to become familiar with and handle common legal issues that arise in the health care setting and assist with day-to-day issues, as needed. Specific litigation related responsibilities may include:
• Provide legal advice to UNC Health on all aspects of potential or pending litigation, including employment, civil rights, contractual and regulatory claims (but not including medical malpractice claims, which are not part of this position).
• Direct and manage litigation strategy and operations, in collaboration with in-house attorneys, the N.C. Attorney General’s Office and outside counsel, as appropriate.
• Represent UNC Health and its affiliates, as appropriate, in litigation matters pending before state and federal court, as well as administrative agencies.
• Conduct and defend depositions, brief and argue dispositive motions and other responsive pleadings, draft/manage and/or respond to discovery (including e-discovery), perform document review, appear in court, and perform other tasks associated with litigation, partnering as appropriate with UNC Health’s Attorney General representatives and outside counsel.
• Consult on pre-litigation matters when necessary or requested.
Our office is comprised of more than a dozen experienced attorneys and a small team of paralegals who advise all of our UNC Health entities, including UNC Health/UNC Hospitals (a North Carolina state agency), and other healthcare entities, including owned and managed hospitals. We partner with our assigned legal representatives from the NC Attorney General’s Office on litigation matters (other than medical malpractice) involving UNC Health/UNC Hospitals. Most of our attorneys provide a variety of general health law advice, although some attorneys primarily focus on specific areas of legal advice (e.g., real estate, employment and employee benefits).
Required qualifications include:
• A degree from an accredited law school with strong academic credentials.
• Licensed to practice law in North Carolina (or will become licensed in North Carolina within the first year of employment). Current licensure in North Carolina preferred but not required.
• Minimum of five years of litigation experience, including primary responsibility for managing complex, civil litigation matters in both state and federal courts; seven or more years of relevant litigation experience strongly preferred.
• Experience with employment litigation strongly preferred. Experience working with health care entities, academic medical centers, and non-profit and/or public entities is also helpful.
• Ability to work on site at UNC Medical Center in Chapel Hill, although some telecommuting will also be permitted.
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: Shared Services
Organization Unit: Legal Office
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Yes
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.