Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this winter. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 11623
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Per Diem
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Each patient has an assigned nurse navigator to oversee their diagnosis and treatment, help them get their needs met, and serve as their personal resource. The specific purpose of the nurse navigator is 1) to expedite and facilitate access to initial and ongoing care in our system, 2) to personalize the care our patients receive, 3) to provide a single gateway for our patients to minimize confusion over communication and 4) to provide a consistent contact for our patients from diagnosis to survivorship. The nurse navigator is patient-oriented, not physician or division specific, and will facilitate care of the patient and family across the many disciplines and professionals required for their care. The nurse navigator acts as the liaison for the patient and family addressing their concerns and questions, and works with program assistants to arrange their various appointments with their providers.
*This position qualifies for a $1,200 commitment incentive, paid in one (1) installment over a six (6) month commitment. Payment is made after the first six (6) month period of work completed. Learn more here: https://jobs.unchealthcare.org/pages/unc-medical-center-unc-faculty-physicians-outpatient-commitment-incentive-program
1. Communication - Nurse Navigators will ensure that there is continuity of communication between a patient's various care providers (both within and outside the UNCHCS community)
2. Nurse Navigator Continuing Education
3. Patient Care Duties Interviews patients regarding their current health practices, identifies health problems, determines the degree of compliance and problems complying with the prescribed treatment plan, and documents this information in the patient's chart. Analyzes data from patient interviews, chart reviews, and physical assessments to determine patient's nursing care needs including direct care, referral to other departments. Additional duties related to coordinating patient care specifically for the cancer patient. Coordinates scheduling of tests labs, x-rays coordinates consults. Interacts with referring physician's offices for new and ongoing patient care issues.
4. Programmatic Leadership
● Bachelor's degree in Nursing (BSN) from a state-accredited school of professional nursing.
● Licensed to practice as a Registered Nurse in the state of North Carolina.
● Oncology Nursing Certification (ONC) within two (2) years of employment. (Must maintain ONC credentials throughout employment.)
● Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Provider certification
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Two (2) years of nursing experience and one (1) year in the area of oncology specialization.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: UNCH OP Svcs Float Pool
Work Type: Per Diem
Standard Hours Per Week: 10.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.