Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this winter. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 11698
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Per Diem
Clinical Support Technician II (Per Diem) needed for Lower GI Surgery Acute Care - 6 East. This is a 14-bed unit dedicated to caring for patient populations to include, but are not limited to: Crohn’s Disease, ulcerative colitis, bariatric surgery, and other complex GI surgery patients. We also care for overflow patients from other units on the acute care surgical units and occasionally overflow from the acute care medicine units.The Clinical Support Tech II functions in a dual role as a Nursing Assistant II and Health Unit Coordinator (Clerical).The CST II will be part of our Carolina Care Partners Model. The Carolina Care Partners in Practice model of care assigns one RN and one CST II to care for a group of patients. This team based approach decreases the fragmentation of care delivered to patients, and increases teamwork and communication between the RN and NA. Using this approach, each RN-CST team is assigned a group of 6 patients. Communication and inclusion is very important in this model. The NA and RN receive report and plan/prioritize their shift together, but still function independently to complete their respective tasks.
This is a Per Diem/ at-will position requiring the ability to work a minimum of 12 hours every 2 weeks; Shifts are for rotating day & night, 12 hours (7am-7:30pm & 7pm-7:30am) with weekend and holiday rotation. Self-scheduling is used to meet the needs of the unit and the staff. Must be able to complete required hospital orientation (Monday through Thursday, 7:30am-5:00pm)
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Responsible for assisting the professional caregiver in the delivery of patient care, transporting patient and/or equipment, setting up and maintaining patient rooms and performing a wide range of clerical, transcription, and maintenance of the patient care unit desk area functions
1. Assists physicians and other health care providers with routine examinations and procedures, as well as procurement of equipment and supplies.
2. Critically reviews patient care documentation making note of any significant changes in the patient's condition and make an immediate report to a registered nurse or physician.
3. Provides a variety of clerical tasks to include but not limited to organizing and prioritizing workload, greeting and directing visitors, researching information as requested by nurses and physicians, reviewing orders for logic and clarity, revising orders as requested by the nurse, answering the telephone/ patient call lights, transcribing physician orders, and maintaining medical records. Performs routine quality assurance audits, safety checks, and inventory of supplies. Provides administrative and clerical support including PI audits and data entry
4. Provides clinical support assistance to include, but not limited to, cleaning the work area, maintaining office equipment, troubleshooting common software and hardware problems, changing linens, checking supply inventory, re-stocking supplies, transporting patients/ supplies/ specimens, and assisting in the orientation of new employees and students.
5. Provides direct personal care to patients as outlined in plan of care activities such as bathing, dressing, feeding, assisting with ambulation. Measures and records vital signs, and patient height and weight. May be responsible for specimen collection, skin preps/scrubs, catheter care, capillary blood glucose checks, simple wound care, range of motion exercises, and/or postural drainage
6. Reinforces routine teaching given to patients by the registered nurse or physician and document patient understanding of instructions. Distributes patient education materials at the request of patients and/or health care providers
● High School diploma or GED
● Listed as Nursing Assistant II with the North Carolina Board of Nursing.
● Listed as Nursing Assistant I with the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services.
● Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Provider certification
Professional Experience Requirements:
● One (1) year of clerical or customer service experience and six (6) months of related nursing assistant experience, which may include a nursing assistant course or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Must be fluent in verbal and written English language. Capability to develop computer skills if not competent.
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: 6 East
Work Type: Per Diem
Standard Hours Per Week: 6.00
Work Schedule: Variable
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.