Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this winter. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 11941
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Per Diem
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
This position performs a variety of medical tissue testing and administrative tasks in support of clinical activities. Work involves preparation of tissue samples, which enable pathologists to determine the cause of death, cause and degree of disease of patient and the course of treatment.
Hours: Variable shifts available including nights and weekends.
1. Assists with instruction of Clinical Laboratory Science students, Pathology residents, and new employees. Serves as a technical resource.
2. Enters testing information into computerized database.
3. Investigates and resolves problems with equipment, patient results, specimens and/or workflow.
4. May participate on teams or individually perform special projects/assignments.
5. Prepares tissue slides by processing, embedding, sectioning, examining, and staining tissues received from surgical pathology, autopsy, hematology, cytology and research areas.
6. Reports results of testing to healthcare providers. Consults and confers with healthcare providers regarding test results.
● Associate degree in biological or chemical science or completion of NAACLS accredited histotechnician program
● HT(ASCP) certified or certification eligible by the ASCP Board of Certification (BOC) within one year of hire date.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● If an Associate's degree, one (1) year of relevant experience.
● If completion of NAACLS accredited histotechnician program, no years of experience are required.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Surgical Pathology
Work Type: Per Diem
Standard Hours Per Week: 8.00
Work Schedule: Variable
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.