Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this winter. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 11521
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: Shared Services
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Performs technical and administrative work
reviewing, abstracting and assigning accepted medical CPT, HCPCS, and ICD-10
codes for professional services. Duties are performed in compliance with third
party, state and federal regulations according to standardized procedures.
Employees report to an administrative superior but independently handle
1. Accurately assigns International Classification of Diseases 10-CM (ICD-10) diagnostic and Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) codes with modifiers, and other applicable codes. Analyzes information for optimal and proper reimbursement, including coding denial resolution. Ensures compliance with all appropriate coding, billing and data collection regulations and procedures. Uses appropriate software to validate information.
2. Provides information to physicians and other health care staff regarding current coding practices and changes in 3rd party, state and federal regulations and guidelines.
3. Reviews, analyzes and abstracts provider documentation for diagnoses, procedures, ancillary testing, medications, laboratory and other services provided. Obtains missing information and/or clarifies existing documentation.
4. Independently manages high volumes of inventory within departmental standards.
5. Adheres to departmental quality and production standards.
6. Acquires continuing education via UNC Physicians approved programs and vendors.
7. Maintains requires professional certification.
● High School diploma or GEDSuccessful completion of the UNC HCS SS Rev Cycle Physician Coder Proficiency Test
● Successful completion of the UNCH Coder Proficiency Test.
● Must have one of the following: - AAPC (American Academy of Professional Coders) certification-AHIMA (American Health Information Management Association) CCSP Certification-If AAPC certification other than CPC or CCSP, candidate will have up to 1 year to obtain CPC or CCSP certification
Professional Experience Requirements:
● 2 years of physician medical coding experience
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: Shared Services
Organization Unit: Physician Rev Cycle Coding
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.