Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current employees, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For employee referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 11964
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
*This position qualifies for our UNC Hospitals RN Incentive Program, which includes up to $20,000 commitment incentive or up to $25,000 tuition loan forgiveness. In addition, this position is also eligible for up to $10,000 in relocation assistance (based on location) and our employee referral program. Learn more about our UNC Hospitals RN Incentive Program here:https://jobs.unchealthcare.org/pages/unc-hospitals-nurse-incentive-program
Labor & Delivery is seeking a Clinical Nurse IV to work 36 hours/week, day/night/weekend rotating shifts. Position to include both clinical and administrative/non-clinical shifts; flexible scheduling for admin hours are available.
Our Labor & Delivery Unit is a Level III referral center, which provides care to both low-risk and high-risk laboring and ante partum patients. Over 3,900 babies are born each year at UNCH. Several thousand patients are also seen in its triage area. In addition, L & D providers and staff perform numerous high-risk procedures such as vaginal and cerclage placements, amniocentesis and versions as well as various fetal procedures, including IUTs, fetal shunt placements and exit procedures. The area consists of 15 labor and delivery rooms, 5 triage rooms, a 2-bed recovery room, and 3 operating rooms. Anesthesia coverage is provided 24/7.
UNC Health Care received Magnet Recognition by the American Nurses Credentialing Center which recognizes quality patient care, nursing excellence and innovations in professional nursing practice.
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 30,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The Clinical Nurse IV practices at the level of an expert practitioner of nursing as defined by Benner, P. (1984). From Novice to Expert. Addison-Wesley Publishing Company. The nurse at this level demonstrates expertise in caring for patients with multiple and complex problems. In addition to demonstrating clinical leadership on the unit, the Clinical Nurse IV serves as a resource and system-wide consultant to staff and participates in endeavors to increase nursing knowledge. The CN IV functions as a clinical leader.
As part of our career ladder, the Clinical Nurse IV applicant should provide evidence of clinical nursing leadership and professional behaviors. A comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and a letter of recommendation from a professional nursing colleague are required and should be attached at time of application.
The CV should include evidence of the following categories whenever possible:
Committees, Task Force, Work Groups
Performance Improvement Projects/Teams & Role
Peer Review and/or Recruitment & Retention Activities
Awards, Recognition and Grants
Relevant Continuing Education
1. Clinical Nursing Practice - Promotes an environment that values diversity, open communication, teamwork and exceptional service. Ensures that appropriate care and services are available to patients, clients and families for assigned shift. Facilitates interdisciplinary collaboration in patient/client care planning to achieve desired patient outcomes. Coordinates care with interdisciplinary team members. Demonstrates and role models clinical expertise in specified patient population and shares expertise with other staff. Promotes and ensures the use of the nursing process to provide quality patient care. Assesses and anticipates patient and family learning needs and organizes resources to ensure that they are met. Performs bedside point of care testing as required for patient care plan.
2. Education and Professional Development - Coordinates, designs and implements educational programs to meet identified learning needs of staff, patients and families. Promotes and ensures staff participation in continuing education, orientation, competency, in-service and staff development offerings. Participates in development and implementation of competency initiatives. Serves as an area of specialty consultant in the design of educational programs. Participates in development of and provides clinical expertise for patient education materials. Promotes professional growth of self and staff. Promotes a conducive environment for learning and provides educational experiences for students.
3. HR Management - Creates and promotes an environment conducive to recruiting and retaining staff. Provides feedback to Manager/Supervisor and Director to assist in hiring, promoting, transferring and terminating staff. Assists Nurse Manager by providing assigned staff with performance feedback and opportunity to set professional goals. Models and promotes behaviors that effectively give continual feedback to staff and colleagues. Integrates best practice standards regarding retention of staff in all aspects of practice.
4. Operational and Fiscal Management - Establishes and promotes standards of excellence for areas of responsibility and ensures consistent implementation by staff. Provides input about trends related to program development, space needs and fiscal realities. Ensures appropriate and adequate clinical staffing and skill mix to meet patient care needs on own shift and upcoming shift. Effectively uses clinical and financial information to assist Nurse Manager to establish and meet budgetary goals. Collaborates with Nurse Manager to implement strategies to increase revenue and cost-effectively manage personnel, supply and equipment resources. Evaluates the impact of strategic fiscal changes on quality outcomes. Assists Nurse Manager to ensure that internal and external regulatory standards are met or exceeded.
5. Research and Performance Improvement - Collaborates with Nurse Manager to evaluate research that is applicable to practice and promotes changes in standards of care as appropriate. Guides research development and implementation. Utilizes resources in asking research questions and applying appropriate research methods Shares knowledge with colleagues through publication, presentations or other means .Develops, implements and evaluates new and creative approaches to meeting goals. Leads, participates and promotes performance improvement initiatives that focus on identified patient safety or quality of care opportunities.
● Bachelor's degree in Nursing (BSN) from a school of professional nursing.
● Licensed to practice as a Registered Nurse in the state of North Carolina. Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Provider certification. Professional certification relevant to the practice area and on the ANCC Magnet approved list within the probationary period of employment.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Eighteen (18) months of professional nursing experience in a tertiary care setting to include didactic and clinical experience in the area of assignment preferably with charge and precepting experience in the area of assignment.
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 36.00
Work Schedule: Rotating
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.