Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current employees, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For employee referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 12446
Location: Durham, NC
Facility/Division: UNC REX Healthcare
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
1. Completes assessment of patient’s condition, to include biophysical, psychosocial, and age-specific needs upon admission and per protocol.
2. Completes patient documentation according to unit-specific and nursing division policies and procedures.
3. Initiates and implements an individualized plan of care (POC) addressing the primary medical diagnosis and pertinent comorbidities. Ensures POC and/or pathway are consistently initiated upon admission, problems are prioritized to include individuality and mutuality, and problems are resolved appropriately.
4. Identifies and initiates independent nursing interventions to deal with potential complications. Communicates with interdisciplinary team when issues occur, providing a clear and organized review of assessment data. Includes documentation of nursing POC note per patient encounter.
5. Provides patient and family education according to the individualized needs and as delegated by physician and/or hospital procedure. Documents education provided to patient/family in electronic medical record (EMR) at least once per shift.
6. Supports performance improvement and quality improvement by participating in unit-based and/or hospital-wide committees or councils.
7. Recognizes, supports, and utilizes evidence-based nursing practices.
8. Ensures hand-off of medication orders are reviewed in EMR at shift change. Administers medications using two patient identifiers: patient name and medical record number. Explains medications to patient (medication name, action, side effects) prior to administration. Maintains barcode scanning compliance of patient and of medication per unit standard.
9. Supports teamwork and a positive work environment on the unit by engaging in open and positive communication with peers, and displays willingness to assist others.
10. Is consistently courteous and professional in interactions with all customers (patients, visitors, and staff from other departments). Makes an extra effort and shows good follow-through in meeting patient/family needs. Responds promptly to patient/customer needs regardless of assignment. Delivers care without making an excessive amount of noise.
11. Follows hospital- and unit-specific policies and procedures. Ensures orders are verified correctly and completely. Ensures critical lab value follow-up is documented on the Provider Notification tab in EMR. Completes patient care and documentation by the end of scheduled shift. Appropriately ends patient assignments in EMR.
12. Complies with HIPPA regarding patient protected health information (PHI). Participates in continuing education activities, conferences, and/or classes to improve nursing practice. Attends 50% of annual MSICU staff and Cardiovascular/Pulmonary Service department meetings during fiscal year. Meets requirements for annual compliance training, license, certification (ACLS/BLS) renewal, and annual TB testing without reminder or follow-up. Adheres to American Nurses Association Code of Ethics.
13. Demonstrates autonomy in finding solutions to problems. Effectively and appropriately delegates tasks to coworkers. Is willing to function as a new employee preceptor and/or charge nurse. Adheres to self-scheduling guidelines. Is flexible with schedule changes as required by unit needs.
● Bachelor's degree (BSN) from an accredited School of Nursing preferred.
● Must have NC RN Licensure.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Prefer previous home care experience.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret clinical information and technical procedures. Ability to document clinical information. Ability to effectively communicate information and respond to questions from patients, physicians, family members, and other Rex staff. Mathematical Skills: Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations. Reasoning Ability: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions.
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: UNC REX Healthcare
Organization Unit: UNCHCS Homecare Infusion Nsg
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Durham
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes
C Home Care! With this position comes no Oasis paper work involved. Nurses primary focus will be on home infusion and central line. Mileage reimbursement is available with a VERY competitive salary. We support a healthy work life balance and you will work closely with our pharmacy team. We also follow in house medication referral.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.