Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current employees, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For employee referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 12414
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
This position is eligible for our Clinical Laboratory Commitment Incentive of $5,000. To learn more on the incentive program guidelines and eligible positions, visithttps://jobs.unchealthcare.org/pages/lab-incentive-program?&bid=12881
Provides supervision of laboratory services and personnel for one or more clinical laboratories. Responsibility and accountability may be for a single shift or 24/7.
Hours: Monday-Friday 7:30am - 4:00pm
1. Collects and analyzes data to evaluate products, processes, procedures, and laboratory needs.
2. Coordinates various programs and implements processes with other departments. Serves as a resource for employees, healthcare providers and professionals within and outside the UNCHCS.
3. Ensures compliance with regulatory guidelines. Establishes and reviews policies and procedures.
4. Manages personnel and administers personnel policies in accordance with the Healthcare Systems personnel policies. Responsible for Human Resource functions which include recruiting/hiring, performance evaluations, training, counseling and disciplinary action.
5. May perform teaching of Clinical Laboratory Science students and Pathology residents and fellows and new employees.
6. Provides input into the budget process (capital and equipment) by analyzing capital development needs and assessing the impact of new programs.
7. Provides leadership to laboratory staff to meet organizational goals.
Direct and coordinate the testing activities of the cytology department, overseeing technical and non-technical staff involved in the technical preparation of gynecological and non-gynecological samples for cytological review. Other responsibilities will include (but not be limited to):
·Provide direct administrative and clinical support to the department chairperson and administrator
·Perform, monitor, and review simple and/or complex test procedures
·Oversee staff hiring, training and certain performance metrics
·Guide QC and quality, ensuring that SOPs are consistently followed for accurate test results
·Additional responsibilities as required.
● Requires Bachelor's of Science degree.
● Requires MLS/MT (ASCP), MT (NCA) or MT (AMT) certification for general lab supervision, CG (ASCP) if supervising Cytogenetics, CT (ASCP) if supervising Cytology or HTL (ASCP) if supervising Histology
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Requires four years of experience at the medical laboratory technologist, cytogenetic technologist, cytotechnologist, or histotechnologist level.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Surgical Pathology
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.