Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this winter. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 12342
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Per Diem
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The UNCMC Certified Wound Ostomy and Continence Nurse team is a professional consult service. We are educators, researchers, and advocates, dedicated to meeting the needs of our patients and their caregivers. Our mission is to leverage our expertise in collaboration with the healthcare team and to optimize patient outcomes.
This is a per diem/at will position which requires the ability to work at least 12 hours every two weeks and one summer and one winter holiday each year. There are no benefits associated with this position.
Assesses, plans, implements, and evaluates wound, ostomy and continence care throughout inpatient and outpatient areas. Functions primarily as a clinical consultant and provides direct patient care and education to highly complex patients and provides staff educational programs in areas of expertise.
1. Administrative: Updates, revises and maintains ostomy, wound, continence and skin care product formulary in conjunction with Central Distribution and PMC. Evaluates products for their efficacy and cost effectiveness. Stays informed of product innovations from the manufacturers of ostomy, wound, continence and skin care products. Maintain a mechanism for documentation patient caseload. Update and maintain appropriate data collection criteria and tools when appropriate. Maintains and utilizes current documentation standards for ostomy, wound, continence and skin care patients.
2. Clinical Consultant: Serves as consultant to medical staff, physicians and nursing staff for patients with wound, ostomy and continence conditions. Provides assessment and recommendations for wound, ostomy and continence patients. Develops patient plan of care and monitors for effectiveness. Provides patient and family education. Coordinates discharge plans with the provider and case management. Serves as clinical consultant for wound, ostomy, continence and skin care needs for committees, task forces, projects on the unit level, hospital level and healthcare level. Attends professional offerings to further enhance clinical skills and to be current on clinical standards related to wound, ostomy, continence and skin care.
3. Educational Consultant: Provides educational programs for health care providers including nurses, physicians and students in the UNC Health Care system. Provides educational resources to keep staff updated to advances, new policies and procedures related to WOC practices and related quality and patient safety issues. Serves as the clinical expert for orientation material on wound, ostomy and skin conditions for new nursing staff. Serves as a clinical preceptor to nursing and medical staff and students. Serves as a clinical preceptor to WOC Nurse students. Serves as the clinical expert for LMS modules related to WOC Nurse practice. Creates, reviews and revises all procedures and protocols related to WOC nurse practice.
4. Research Participant: Participates in research related to WOC nurse practice including wound, ostomy, skin and continence conditions. Participate in data collection including audits of pressure injuries. Interpretation of data
● Bachelor's degree in Nursing from a state-accredited school of professional nursing.
● Wound Ostomy Continence Nursing (WOCN) certification (pending or current)
● Licensed to practice as a Registered Nurse in the state of North Carolina.
● Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Provider certification
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Two (2) years of nursing experience.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Expert level assessment and clinical intervention skills
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Wound, Ostomy Care Nurses
Work Type: Per Diem
Standard Hours Per Week: 6.00
Work Schedule: Variable
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.