Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this winter. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 12078
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: Shared Services
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
*This position qualifies for a $6,500 commitment incentive, paid over a three (3) year commitment. The first Payment will be made within the first thirty (30) days of employment. The remaining will be paid after each six (6) month period of work completed. Learn more here: https://jobs.unchealthcare.org/pages/revenue-cycle-commitment-incentive-program
**Position is Virtual/Remote**
Performs technical and administrative work
reviewing, abstracting and assigning accepted medical CPT, HCPCS, and ICD-10
codes for professional services. Duties are performed in compliance with third
party, state and federal regulations according to standardized procedures.
Employees report to an administrative superior but independently handle
1. Assigns International Classification of Diseases 10-CM diagnostic and ICD-10-PCS procedural codes accurately and productively and other applicable codes such as MS-DRG on inpatient cases for all entities within the Health Care system including Academic Medical Center cases.
2. Groups codes and completed product into payment group.
3. Assigns codes that affect Severity of Illness and Risk of Mortality and Hierarchal Condition Categories (HCCs).
4. Participates in DRG Reconciliation with Clinical Documentation Specialist (CDS).
5. Queries providers when documentation is conflicting, needs clarification and specificity.
6. Analyzes information for optimal and proper reimbursement.
7. Ensures compliance with all appropriate coding, billing and data collection regulations and procedures.
8. Provides information to physicians and other health care staff regarding current coding practices and changes in 3rd party, state and federal regulations and guidelines.
9. Reviews, analyzes and abstracts physician/other documentation for diagnoses, procedures, discharge disposition and other services provided.
10. Obtains missing information and/or to clarifies existing information.
11. Accepts feedback from PWC Smart reviews and makes edits as needed to avoid future errors.
12. Reviews and processes PWC SMART edits.
13. Researches appropriate databases for validation of information.
14. Utilizes a variety of software (e.g. Epic, Optum CAC, MS Office, etc.) to compile and validate medical information.
● High School diploma or GED
·Successful completion of the UNC HCS IP Coder Proficiency Test (including AMC).
● Must have one of the following: - AHIMA (American Health Information Management Association) certification and credential - AAPC (American Academy of Professional Coders) certification and credential
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Four (4) years of experience in hospital inpatient coding.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Strong knowledge of ICD-10-CM/PCS coding with excellent analytical and data mining skills. Ability to effectively manage projects, plan and implement programs, and evaluate outcomes. Ability to effectively work with direct various levels of staff (including on-site and remote). Must possess strong communication skills, both written and verbal and have extensive attention to detail. Exhibits effective organizational skills, time management, and management of multiple priorities. Ability to interpret complex medical conditions and work with complex coding applications. Ability to have an excellent balance of being highly productive and yet produce high quality work. Ability to interpret federal and state regulations as they relate to coding and compliance.
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: Shared Services
Organization Unit: HIM Hospital Coding
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.