Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this winter. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 10634
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
UNC Health Care is recruiting a full time Child Life Specialist with active Child Life Specialist Certification, to join our UNC Children’s Hospital team located on the beautiful campus of UNC Chapel Hill.
As a top-tier academic medical center, UNC Children’s hospital upholds a four-tiered mission to “CARE,” aligning clinical care, advocacy, research, and education to deliver world-class, family-centered care – always regardless of a family’s ability to pay. UNC Children’s clinical home, N.C. Children’s Hospital, is a major referral center for children with complex conditions and consistently recognized by U.S. News & World Report as one of "America's Best Children's Hospitals" on its annual list.
We are seeking a dynamic, motivated and team-oriented Child Life Specialist with excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work with multidisciplinary providers and teammates in effective, collaborative practice. This position will work primarily in the Newborn Critical Care Center focused on sibling support, family education and bereavement support.
The Child Life Specialist teaches, supervises, and evaluates the work of volunteers and child life student interns. The incumbent may also serve as a resource and an advocate on child development, family-centered care, multicultural awareness, and the impact of various health care experiences on pediatric patients and families.
This position is 36 hours/week, Tuesday – Saturday with occasional holiday coverage requirements.
1. Evaluates patient progress towards treatment goals and responses to treatment interventions, adapts as necessary in compliance with departmental performance expectations
2. Initial assessment and evaluation--Individually assesses/evaluates patient formulates clinical impressions and recommendations for treatment, referral for other services or provision for no service based upon the analysis of assessment data, and reports assessment findings to appropriate individuals in compliance with departmental performance expectations
3. Internship management--Recruits, screens, interviews, selects, supervises and evaluates child life interns in accordance with department performance expectations
4. Outreach--Develops and facilitates community outreach programs that promote the Children's Hospital and the health and wellbeing of children in accordance with departmental performance expectations
5. Planning--Interprets assessment data accurately, determines appropriate treatment goals in conjunction with the overall treatment plan, designs treatment plans and individualized treatment interventions for assigned patient population to meet their treatment needs in compliance with departmental performance expectations
6. Plans for all needed resources, coordinates program scheduling and plans and facilitates group and individual treatment interventions with co-workers and other disciplines in compliance with departmental performance expectations
7. Plans for patient discharge and recommends continued service or aftercare in accordance with departmental performance expectations
8. Program development--Develops new or revises existing programs & interventions to reflect current patients' needs, interests and abilities and to promote safety in compliance with departmental performance expectations
● Bachelor's degree in Therapeutic Recreation, Child Life or a related field that meets the Child Life Council's recommendation for coursework concentration in Child Life.
● Certification by the Child Life Certifying Commission.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● No prior experience required.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Rec Therapy & Child Life-Peds
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 36.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.