Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current employees, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For employee referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 11356
Location: Raleigh, NC
Facility/Division: UNC REX Healthcare
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Our Perinatal Services Department is comprised of Lactation Consultants, Perinatal Educators, Birth Certificate Registrars, Car Seat Technician and a Newborn Screening Coordinator. Our services include breastfeeding support, pregnancy and parenting classes, completion and filing of birth certificates with the local and state departments of Vital Statistics, infant safety seat checks and State mandated infant screening. Our team consists of Registered Nurses, Educators, Child Passenger Safety Technician and Administrative staff who are committed to delivering high quality and compassionate care with a family centered approach.
Lactation Specialist assesses patient breastfeeding needs and implements a plan of care to provide for adequate infant nutrition through education, support and assistance. Collaborates with healthcare team members to provide patient, staff and community education and support. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Adheres to hospital infection control policies for Women's and Children's Services including handwashing, nails, jewelry, and dress code. Demonstrates proper response to hospital codes and alerts according to policies.
2. Integrates knowledge, evidence-based practice and assessment skills with providing holistic support and care for breastfeeding families. Educates women, families, and the community about breastfeeding and human lactation through teaching prenatal and post-natal breastfeeding classes. Provides evidence-based information to mothers and health professionals regarding medication usage during breastfeeding.
3. Assists health care team in maintaining their current knowledge base and competency with breastfeeding.
4. Supports mothers after discharge by providing telephone and outpatient consultation to resolve breastfeeding issues. Encourages families to make informed decisions regarding the feeding of their children by providing evidence-based information that is free of personal bias.
5. Collaborates with team members to determine daily assignments and completion of work in a timely manner. Works collaboratively and interdependently with other members of the health care team to establish and communicate the patient's plan of care.
6. Documents all consults and orders properly and efficiently in the electronic medical record. Recognizes differences of opinion and supports parents informed decisions. Encourages, promotes and participates in yearly departmental goals and initiatives. Educates women about the value of breastmilk and option to pump if preferred.
● Bachelor's degree in Nursing (BSN) from an accredited college or university preferred.
● Must have RN License & LBCLC. Certification as an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) required.
● IBCLC;RN NC LIC;BCLS
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Minimum of three (3) years in clinical practice preferred. One year in obstetrical or neonatal nursing preferred.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze, interpret, and communicate clinical information, technical procedures, and health care issues. Ability to effectively present information to adult learners. Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints. Ability to make effective and persuasive speeches and presentations on controversial topics to public groups. Mathematical Skills: Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions. Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts. Reasoning Ability: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to implement critical thinking.
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: UNC REX Healthcare
Organization Unit: Rex Lactation
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 32.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Raleigh
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.