Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current employees, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For employee referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 12312
Location: Raleigh, NC
Facility/Division: UNC REX Healthcare
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
An Advanced Practice Provider (APP) functions as part of the interdisciplinary healthcare team in accordance with privileges approved by the credentialing committee to provide high quality, cost effective care to patients within the APPs scope of practice in collaboration with a supervising physician. The APP reflects the mission, vision, and values of the organization, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines and other regulatory and accreditation standards.
Occupational Health APP Responsibilities:
1. Provides evidence based clinical evaluation and treatment of new injuries and illnesses that are occupationally related with approximately 600 follow up visits per year.
2. Orders and interprets applicable and relevant clinical lab tests and imaging studies
3. Recommend the purchase, and maintain medical supplies and equipment necessary for the optimal functioning of the occupational health service as well as reduce cost for work comp vs these supplies being provided by ED, Urgent Care or specialist.
4. Provides patient education relating to current medical issues as well as to promote healthy lifestyle and disease prevention and management.
5. Evaluates outcome of patient care and makes necessary revision of care plans and arranges for follow-up or referrals/consults
6. Monitors and analyzes illness and injury episodes and trends. Collaborates with management and other departments to identify and evaluate hazards and develop strategies to reduce exposure, mitigate risk, and improve coworker health and performance
7. Manages all phases of the work comp case treatment plan from visit to closure to coordinate expedited recovery and early return to work. This very successful early return to work program has reduced our TPD, TTD costs associate with the claim.
8. Participates in claims review twice per year.
9. Consult with or refer patients to appropriate specialists when conditions exceed the scope of practice or expertise.
10. Medical surveillance and post exposure exams for occupational infectious disease as well as chemical hazardous and toxic substance exposures according to applicable government guidelines.
11. Serves as an assistant manager.
12. Participates in For Cause Urine Drug Screens with HR and management to identify impaired employee with mental health or drug abuse issues and appropriate refers to Employee Assistance Programs.
13. Collaborates with management and Human Resources to improve the accuracy of job descriptions in regards to the physical requirements.
14. In collaboration with the Medical Director and EHS Manager, develops, implements evaluates and updates clinic guidelines, policies, procedures and protocols.
15. Serves as a resource for EHS staff who are working with an employee returning to work after a personal injury or leave to determine if a Fit for Duty is required before allowing them to return to full duty.
16. On Call and Covid Call Processing and Tracing, Covid calls and arrange testing if needed as well as updating portal, sending appropriate emails
17. Request recorded statement by work comp adjuster to determine compensability of claim based on case and findings
18. Participate in UNC Rex Healthcare Safety Committee meetings to support the organization, promoting a culture of workplace health and safety
19. Participate in root cause analysis meetings regarding exposures and injuries
20. Monitor Rex PT progress or lack of to determine if needs to refer to specialist or change to another facility
21. Authorize meds for Rex Pharmacy if written by specialists for our Rex work comp injured coworkers
22. Discuss with nurse case manager after every specialist visit to determine employee’s status and course of action- continued coordinated care
23. Coordinate with manager or other depts. to provided modified duty assignment
24. Recommendations to work comp adjuster of referral, assignment of case manager, higher level of adjuster or if legal needs to be involved
25. Route notes via Epic to appropriate parties
26. Provide vaccines or TB testing as needed to employees
27. Soap vs Glove reactions- collaborate with employee, dept and distribution manager to identify alternate products for use
28. Perform skin laceration repair with Dermabond- if need sutures, refer to Urgent Care or ED
29. ANP physical
1. Clinical- Obtains relevant health and medical history, performs thorough physical assessment, reviews and interprets pertinent diagnostic tests/results. Develops appropriate differential diagnoses. Develops and implements treatment plans including prescribing/ordering of appropriate evidence-based pharmacological agents consistent with departmental guidelines and privileging, and schedules appropriate follow-up management. Actively incorporates evidence-based hospital initiatives to improve patient care. Conducts preventive health screening based on age, history and patient needs. Maintains clear comprehensive yet concise records of all aspects of patient care. Maintains essential knowledge of general disease and pathologic processes. Maintains extensive knowledge of their specialty literature including awareness of developing areas. Consistently derives correct diagnoses through synthesis of clinical data and proper selection and interpretation of diagnostic studies. Develops comprehensive differential diagnoses for patients. Revises the plan of care to meet the changing needs of the patient. Prioritizes work and assists staff to provide prompt and efficient client flow. Consistently maintains high productivity according to identified standards. Leads/participates in projects to improve productivity. Appropriately performs medical procedures consistent with departmental guidelines, privileging, and clinical roles/responsibilities.
2. Education- Appropriately and professionally educates clients and/or families regarding medical condition, treatment, and follow-up. Collaborates with clinicians, staff, and students to promote continuity and patient/family centered care. Develops educational materials based on learning needs of clinicians, staff, and students. Provide education/instruction to physicians, housestaff, nursing, ancillaries and/or students. Actively recognizes and participates in identification and achievement of self-learning needs. Attends education programs based on identified learning needs.
3. Leadership- Provides instruction to physicians, housestaff, nursing, ancillaries and/or students including but not limited to precepting, shadowing, lectures, training classes, CE, rounds, morning report, and or staff meetings. Participates in community/network outreach programs. Develops/leads community/network outreach programs. Demonstrates both an understanding of the contexts and system in which healthcare is provided and the ability to apply this knowledge to improve and optimize health care delivery. Leads/participates in systems improvements.
4. Professional- Interacts with patients and families in a respectful, courteous and timely fashion using appropriate communication for the patient and situation. Interacts collaboratively with coworkers, other team members and staff in a respectful, courteous, and timely fashion appropriate to patient care needs and situations. Responds quickly to meet customer needs and resolve problems. Accepts responsibility for outcomes of one?s work. Shares responsibility for overall workload with team members.
5. Quality/Research- Engages in daily continuous quality improvement by identifying and implementing processes for improvement. Consults with management in assessment, problem-solving, decision-making, and evaluating clinical/system issues and models of care. Leads interdisciplinary teams to provide integrated delivery of patient care services. Initiates and revises protocol(s) or guideline(s) to reflect evidence-based changes in care management Works to influence policy-making bodies to improve patient care. Develops new clinical programs or services within the department/unit/clinic to improve patient care.
● Completion of an accredited graduate-level Advanced Practice Provider (APRN or PA) program.
● Licensed as an Advanced Practice Provider (i.e., Nurse Practitioner, Physician Assistant, Clinical Pharmacist Practitioner, Certified Nurse Midwife, Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist) in the state of North Carolina. Board certification if required by the Department.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● No prior experience required.
Urgent Care, EPIC , Occupational Health/ Employee Health Experience preferred but will train right candidate
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Demonstrated clinical competency. Effective leadership skills. Strong interpersonal skills. Ability to work independently and collaboratively. Demonstrated written and verbal communication and strong analytical skills. Effective interaction to ensure the successful care of patients in the clinical setting. Documentation in the medical record to substantiate accurate billing.
Excellent computer skills
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: UNC REX Healthcare
Organization Unit: Rex Employee Health Services
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Raleigh
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.