Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC WakeBrook, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 7872
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Per Diem
Nursing Assistant II (Per Diem) needed for the Emergency Department. The Emergency Department at UNC Health cares for patients from minor illnesses and injuries to critical medical emergencies and trauma patients ranging in ages neonates to elderly. The 97 bed Emergency Department is comprised of the main ED, Behavioral Health ED and Pediatric ED; and utilizes a team staffing format. This large number of high acuity patients received in the department contributes to a very challenging and rewarding clinical environment.
This is a Per Diem/ at-will position requiring the ability to work a minimum of 12 hours every 2 weeks; Shifts are for rotating day & night, 12 hours (7am-7:30pm & 7pm-7:30am) with weekend and holiday rotation. Self-scheduling is used to meet the needs of the unit and the staff. Must be able to complete required hospital orientation (Monday through Friday, 7:30am-5:00pm).
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Provides routine direct and indirect patient care in a hospital, clinic or home health care setting. All work performed is under the direct supervision of a registered nurse or physician.
1. Provide direct personal care to patients as outlined in plan of care activities such as bathing, dressing, feeding, assisting with ambulation. Measure and record vital signs, and patient height and weight. May be responsible for specimen collection, skin preps/scrubs, catheter care, capillary blood glucose checks, simple wound care, range of motion exercises, and/or postural drainage. Performs Oxygen room set-up and monitors oxygen flow-rate, performs oropharyngeal and nasopharyngeal suctioning, tracheostomy care, fecal impaction removal, sterile dressing change wound irrigation for wounds that are 48 hours old, IV fluid assembly and monitoring, IV site care and discontinue peripheral IV, ostomy irrigation and care, urinary catheterization and irrigation, performs established oral, nasogastric, and gastrostomy tube feedings.
2. Provide clinical support assistance to include, but not limited to, cleaning the work area, maintaining office equipment, troubleshooting common software and hardware problems, changing linens, checking supply inventory, re-stocking supplies, transporting patients/ supplies/ specimens, and assisting in the orientation of new employees and students.
3. Assist physicians and other health care providers with routine examinations and procedures, as well as procurement of equipment and supplies.
4. Reinforce routine teaching given to patients by the registered nurse or physician and document patient understanding of instructions. Distributes patient education materials at the request of patients and/or health care providers.
5. Provide administrative and clerical support including PI audits and data entry.
● High School diploma or GED
● Listed as Nursing Assistant II with the North Carolina Board of Nursing.
● Listed as Nursing Assistant I with the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services.
● Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Provider certification
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Six (6) months related nursing assistant experience
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Fluent in verbal and written English language and able to develop basic computer skills.
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Emergency Room
Work Type: Per Diem
Standard Hours Per Week: 6.00
Work Schedule: Rotating
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.