Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this winter. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 12557
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: Shared Services
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Responsible for performing a variety of complex pre-services, financial counseling and customer service related functions for patients and/or their representative including pre-service estimates, collection of pre-payments, collection of prior debt, obtaining authorizations, addressing billing questions, establishing payment plans, screening for financial assistance, responding to MyUNCChart inquiries and other Customer Service requests for both hospital and physician services.
1. Create Hospital and Physician estimates using the Epic Patient Estimator, review eligibility and benefits utilizing RTE, and obtain authorization requirements.
2. Contact patient pre-service providing benefit and patient liability education, explain the estimate cost, and attempt to secure payment and/or set expectation of payment at time of service.
3. Provide estimates to patient shoppers and clinical areas across the healthcare system, work with clinical areas to create estimate templates, determine workflow and process, and collaborate with ISD for template creation and rollout and provide payment plans for point-of-service (POS) collections.
4. Train clinical areas on estimate usage and patient scripting for collections, audit and provide feedback on accuracy of estimates utilizing Epic estimate reports, track and trend collection amounts and template accuracy utilizing hospital and physician EOBs and refine process to enhance accuracy and screen and assist patients with financial assistance, Medicaid eligibility and/or other funding sources available.
5. Monitor and track routine follow up with Medicaid and financial assistance approvals and handle HB/PB patient inquiries to address any/all billing questions via inbound calls, MyUNCChart, patient correspondence and patient walk-ins.
6. Fulfill patient requests for itemization of charges, adding/verifying/billing insurance, establishing payment plans, payroll deductions, process adjustments, request refunds, and explain charity care policy and guidelines.
7. Initiate patient outreach on delinquent payment plans, adding accounts to existing payment plans and high risk/balance accounts, investigate HB and PB Set off Debt Collection Act (SODCA) disputed accounts that have received a NC State Income Tax refund withhold using current and legacy billing and imaging systems, meet with attorneys to record depositions, collaborate with the attorney general’s office and attend/participate in hearings when needed.
8. Work with Patient Relations, Risk Management for HB and PB patients who have escalated complaints or concerns, oversee HB Client account billing and follow-up which includes validating charges and fee schedules, review and move charges, research and reconcile payments, communicate with multiple departments to answer client questions and collect payments and work with external customers such as collection agencies, UNCPN and Hospital based clinics to address any patient concerns.
● High school diploma or GED.
● No licensure or certification required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Two (2) years of experience in Hospital or Physician Insurance related activities (Authorization, Billing, Follow-Up, Call-Center, or Collections).
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
● Excellent listening skills, and organizational skills.
● Advanced knowledge of UB-04, HCFA-1500’s and Explanation of Benefits (EOB) interpretation.
● Intermediate knowledge of CPT and ICD-9 codes.
● Advanced knowledge of insurance billing, collections and insurance terminology.
● Ability to work in fast pace environment and prioritize and manage multiple tasks.
● Healthcare terminology.
● Customer Service skills.
● Computer knowledge: MS Word, Excel, and Outlook.
● Knowledge of 3rd party reimbursements from insurance companies and government payers is a plus.
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: Shared Services
Organization Unit: Cash Management
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.