Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current employees, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For employee referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 13338
Location: Morrisville, NC
Facility/Division: Shared Services
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
This position is responsible for the development of strategic benefit programs that appeal to all generations within the organization, and supports the health system’s business objectives. The director of benefits is responsible for the design, implementation, and ongoing evaluation of the organization’s benefits programs, including health and welfare benefits, retirement benefits,
and leave programs, ensuring that all programs are current and competitive with regards to trends, practices, and costs. This position is also responsible for maintaining compliance with all legal requirements of various employee benefit programs, and preparing and filing required legal reports.
• Reviews and analyzes the benefits market trends, regulations, and practices, to recommend and develop competitive programs and services to meet UNC Health's strategic recruitment, wellness, and retention goals.
• Responsible for oversight of benefits programs, including recommending, implementation, support and compliance for new and existing employee benefits programs, including but not limited to plan selection, annual renewal process, contract negotiation, benchmarking.
• Evaluates and analyzes the results of the programs and services regularly and systematically; reports these results to the VP HR Services in addition to other management reporting.
• Plans and directs the implementation and administration of benefits programs designed to mitigate against loss of income due to illness, injury, or retirement.
• Oversees a robust and effective communication plan for benefits programs such as health insurance plans, pension plan, 403(b), 401(k), 457(b), disability insurance, life insurance and other special employer-sponsored plans.
• Consults with legal in the development and maintenance of up-to-date benefit program plan documents and summary plan descriptions
• Responsible for compliance with respect to all benefit programs
• The management for annual open enrollment activities including, communications, and applicable reporting to vendors
• Responsible for maintaining strong, collaborative vendor and TPA management and broker relationships to assess programs and market trends
• Works with the HR Data and HR System Support teams to provide oversight of benefit changes, updates and implementations and system testing to ensure consistency with plan documents
• Partners with the Payroll team on any issues relating to benefits that require partnership to improve or resolve issues
• Manages and oversees the hiring, training, professional development, and performance management of the Benefits department's staff.
● Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Human Resources or related field.
● No licensure or certification required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Seven (7) years of experience in benefits, with at least five (5) years management experience in a Human Resources function.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Knowledge of laws affecting benefit administration including Affordable Care Act. Extensive knowledge of benefits programs e.g., health, disability and other insurance, retirement programs, tax sheltered investment/savings plans). Knowledge of and ability to apply, the principles and practices of supervision. Knowledge of related hardware and software products. Strong Customer Service skills including interpersonal and conflict resolution skills, as well as strong demonstrated written and verbal skills. Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously. Ability to work independently.
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: Shared Services
Organization Unit: HR Benefits
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Morrisville
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.