Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current employees, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For employee referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 12597
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Provides diabetic patient assessments, conducts educational and instructional activities for diabetic patients and assists in the development and selection of patient education materials.
1. Assists in the development and selection of patient education materials, policies, protocols, and procedures that enhance the diabetes education provided to patients.
2. Educates patients on use of continuous glucose monitoring and other new technology for diabetes management as it emerges.
3. Instructs an individual diabetes patient in diabetes medical nutrition therapy if they are referred from a community physician.
4. Instructs patients in the use of insulin pumps. Provides pump management and patient self-management instruction if so ordered by their UNC endocrinologist or advanced practice provider under protocol. Processes pump paperwork and follow-up by phone as needed with new pump patients.
5. Participates in team meetings, ADA DSME meetings or other administrative functions.
6. Provides an assessment of the patient and determines mutually acceptable diabetes self-management goals and outcomes, develops a plan to obtain those outcomes. Assists the patient in implementing those goals, evaluates the behavior change process and documents appropriately.
7. Provides diabetes education and management on all aspects of diabetes self-management to adult patients referred by a UNC endocrinologist or advance practice provider for Type 1 or 2 diabetes or gestational diabetes. This includes but is not limited to insulin instruction, blood glucose meter instruction, diabetes complication prevention, behavioral goal setting, diabetes medical nutrition therapy, meal planning and carbohydrate counting.
8. Teaches the American Diabetes Association (ADA) Diabetes Self-Management Education (DSME) Program classes as a clinical instructor on a rotating basis for Type 2 diabetes patients referred by their endocrinologist or advanced practice provider.
● Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate discipline.
● Licensed Dietitian/Nutritionist or licensed to practice as a Registered Nurse in the state of North Carolina. Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE)
Professional Experience Requirements:
● If Bachelor’s degree, 3 years’ experience as an Registered Dietitian
● If Master’s degree, 1 year experience as an Registered Dietitian
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: UNCH Endocrinology Cl at ET
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.