Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this winter. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 12457
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The sonographer independently performs diagnostic ultrasound exams (including but not limited to abdominal, small parts, OB/GYN, breast, abdominal duplex, musculoskeletal, CEUS, and pediatric sonography. The technologist will assist the radiologists with invasive procedures such as biopsies, injections, and aspirations. This employee must comply with departmental protocols under indirect supervision of the attending radiologist and departmental supervisor.
Job responsibilities include but aren't limited to: proper operation of and care for equipment, providing quality care to patients, and proper use of the electronic medical records and reporting systems. Involvement with peers in the scheduling and coordinating of the daily workload. Summarizing exam findings on a report worksheet and communicating the impression to the radiologist at the completion of each exam. Accuracy in the performance of exams and willingness to learn and perform all current and new procedures is required. Works closely with radiologists to not only perform exams but to assist in training of resident physicians, fellows, and students assigned to the area. Maintains CPR certification, CME credits, and active ARDMS certification.
Work hours: Monday - Friday 8:30am – 5:00pm (Hours and days are subject to change based on departmental needs)
1. Completes all relevant worksheets. Gives accurate impressions of exams performed. Deletes all unnecessary image data. Maintains image management equipment. Utilizes PACS system for obtaining additional study data. Completes routine comments and details findings on abnormal ultrasounds in the sonographer comment section. Generates coherent, accurate and complete computerized ultrasound data. Assures that data transfer is complete and accurate. Evaluates previous ultrasounds for comparison prior to performing ultrasound examination. Familiarity with R4 reporting system, (ie ability to edit, merge studies etc.)
2. Ensures safe and appropriate procedure environment (Includes ultrasound equipment checks, transducer check, QA of equipment, cleanliness). Maintain supply inventory for department. Maintains a clean work environment Responsible for inspection and maintenance of ultrasound and computer equipment and supplies in a clean and orderly fashion. Immediate notification of supervisor of need for supplies or equipment repair/maintenance. Probes are appropriately sterilized/cleaned after use. Uses technical knowledge to assist in actively troubleshooting work unit problems with respect to equipment and protocols
3. Evaluates requisition and patient information to determine appropriateness of procedure (Patient ID clinical symptoms lab values chart information). Collaborate and plan the workday and patient flow with fellow sonographers and clerical support staff. Reviews patient's chart and films for correlation. Regularly consults daily schedule. Reviews patient's prior studies for correlation. Regularly consults daily schedule. Screens exam indications to insure appropriate orders. Screens exam indications to insure level of testing. Precept new employees and students.
4. Performs diagnostic ultrasound procedures including assessment of patient history, documentation of anatomy and pathology. Producing and summarizing documentation of procedure findings. Transfer pt. data to storage/network devises. Attendance and active participation required at regularly scheduled departmental ultrasound conferences and in-unit quality assurance unit updates.CME sufficient to maintain RDMS certification. Self reading and education to remain abreast of new developments in ultrasound findings and technology Generates preliminary clinical diagnosis. Works with physicians on final diagnosis. Demonstrates a thorough knowledge of all aspects of Ultrasound Obtains RDMS credentials and maintains """"Active Status"""" Performs work in a timely manner. Produces accurate images and impressions
5. Ultrasound guidance for procedures. Demonstrates ability to provide ultrasound guidance for various procedures including sonohysterograms, CVS, amniocentesis and fetal procedures including bladder and pleural tap. Demonstrates appropriate setup, supplies and patient preparation for procedure. Displays awareness of needle/catheter location, positioning
● Completion of a twelve (12) month program in Diagnostic Medical Sonography or General Ultrasound.
● RDMS registered by the American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (ARDMS) or registry eligible and become registered within one (1) year from date of hire. Must maintain registry status and continuing education requirements annually.
● Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Provider certification
Professional Experience Requirements:
● No prior experience required.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Ultrasound
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.