Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health teammates also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 10265
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The Operations and Maintenance Manager is responsible for planning, organizing, implementing, and supervising the ongoing maintenance, repair, alteration, replacement, and upgrade of the buildings, equipment, grounds, and infrastructure of the facilities and spaces owned, leased, and maintained by the UNC Health Care System.
This role has primary responsibility for 3 major areas: (1) regulatory compliance, (2) safety programs, and (3) subject matter expert on applicable codes especially life safety codes. A successful candidate will be responsible for improving, implementing and monitoring compliance programs for Plant Engineering. This includes collaborating with Plant Engineering Ships and Managers as well as departments such as Nursing, Pharmacy, etc. This position is responsible for developing, implementing, and monitoring safety related programs within Plant Engineering such as LOTO, OSHA, EPA, NC DEQ, Hot Work permits, Above Ceiling permits, rated barrier permits, ICRA, and ILSM. This role will also provide knowledge, direction, and recommendations on the understanding and applicability of codes to the operations of the hospital especially as it relates to life safety.
The ideal candidate will have significant experience with CMS and Joint Commission standards/requirements including participation in full surveys. The individual will also have experience in developing and implementing compliance programs. Such candidate will have knowledge of NFPA 101, NFPA 99, FGI, and NC Codes. The ideal candidate will also have experience managing safety programs such as LOTO, OSHA, EPA, NC DEQ, Hot Work permits, etc.
1. Assess and Manage work priorities and goals for ongoing building maintenance operations for both in-house staff and contract/vendor support operations. Manage inclement weather operations for building access and egress at assigned sites. Provide direction to support services to ensure operational integrity at sites.
2. Attain quotes for building repairs as required. Oversee planning and execution of building repairs. Procure and set future budgets for repairs, replacements, and upgrades (both operating and capital). Maintain Department?s Operating and Capital maintenance budgets.
3. Develop, prioritize, and administer the maintenance budget. Review and approve requests for repairs and maintenance to ensure compliance with budget. Provide reports and updates to ensure that variances are properly captured and reported.
4. Implement and maintain a preventive maintenance program. Oversee prioritization of any deferred maintenance. Maintain and update all maintenance processes and procedures as necessary to maintain operational compliance. Ensure all building, equipment, and locations are successfully placed into a properly laid out and maintained maintenance program.
5. Maintain required documentation for equipment maintenance, repair, and replacement for credentialing agency reviews, in accordance with manufacturer or industry standards, and per Hospital policies. Ensure Departmental compliance with regulatory requirements regarding documentation.
6. Manage the maintenance program, assess maintenance problems, determine need for large scale projects, and recommend proposals as appropriate to upper management. Develop cost estimates and provide recommendations for corrective work.
7. Negotiate and manage maintenance contracts and property management agreements. Review, prioritize, and track costs related to property management agreements and leased space agreements to ensure compliance with required maintenance and environmental conditions, and life safety standards. Review maintenance plans and specifications to ensure compliance with Hospital requirements. Inspect work in progress and evaluate completed tasks/projects to ensure work is performed as specified for both in-house and external work.
8. Performs managerial activities, including preparation of special and periodic reports to upper management as needed and requested adherence to financial data, budgetary information, maintenance charge backs and other data initiating and preparing forms and records, including payroll records, work orders, inventory records, personnel records, material requisitions, and other documents.
9. Provide direct Management and oversight of assigned in-house maintenance and construction trades, specially assigned projects, routine maintenance and repair projects, and condition assessments for equipment and buildings. Ensure proper maintenance, compliance, documentation, and work performance for specialty systems such as underground fuel tanks, acid dilution tanks, grease interceptors, helipad, and jet fuel systems.
10. Provide oversight of the Department?s Work Order process and the Computerized Work Order system.
11. Provide oversight of the vehicle maintenance program.
12. Responsible for planning, scheduling, training, and supervising maintenance personnel, trade shops, group leaders, and other workers in the completion of their duties. Performs interviewing, selection, promotion, correct action, demotion, termination, and evaluation of applicants and employees according to UNC HCS policies and procedures.
● Bachelor’s degree in Architecture, Business Administration, Engineering or related field to acquire knowledge of building construction and maintenance work.
● No licensure or certification required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Six (6) years of skilled and increasingly responsible experience in building construction, maintenance work, and institutional facility operations of which at least two (2) years shall have been in a supervisory or lead capacity.
● If Associate’s degree, then requires ten (10) years of skilled and increasingly responsible experience in building construction, maintenance work, and institutional facility operations of which at least two (2) years shall have been in a supervisory or lead capacity.
● If High School degree, then requires fourteen (14) years of skilled and increasingly responsible experience in building construction, maintenance work, and institutional facility operations of which at least two (2) years shall have been in a supervisory or lead capacity.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Maintenance
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.
View the Federal Workplace poster.