Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current employees, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For employee referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 13583
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Credentials resident and subspecialty resident physicians to begin graduate medical education training. This includes obtaining licensure and certification as required by federal and state law and Accreditation Council of Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) requirements, oversight and monitoring of required LMS, assistance in obtaining visas and securing supporting documentation and compliance as required by Homeland Security, performing background checks and pre-employment drug screening, verifying transcripts, records and employment eligibility, maintaining the payroll and tax deduction systems, processing personnel action requests and other human resources functions, and providing support if necessary for benefits administration, for all resident, subspecialty resident and visiting resident physicians in the 89 ACGME accredited training programs, as well as additional non-ACGME accredited and non-medical training programs. Additionally, this position is responsible for the oversight and monitoring of the Residency Program Coordinators to ensure that institutional policies, ACGME requirements and federal and state laws are followed, and compliance is maintained.
DESCRIPTION OF JOB RESPONSIBILITIES :
1. Credentialing and Re-credentialing of Resident and Fellow Physicians and Visiting Residents. a). Licensure/Certification This position has primary responsibility for assisting residents, subspecialty residents and visiting residents in obtaining a license before being appointed to UNC Hospitals GME training programs. This position receives, analyzes, reviews and approves the license applications and supporting documentation. This position investigates issues related to background, medical / dental school activity that may require additional research of information and supporting documentation and initiates action to secure appropriate information and documentation that satisfies requirements, all while keeping track of each stage in the licensure process and communication with the resident physician and their residency training coordinator as needed. b). Applications for Appointment to GME This position acquires, reviews, researches and maintains current Applications for Graduate Medical Education Appointment, and supporting documentation for Graduate Medical Education at UNC Hospitals for resident and subspecialty resident physician annually. This position assures supporting documentation satisfies the requirements for appointments. Documentation includes, but is not limited to, applications, letters of reference, verification of previous GME training, and supporting educational documentation and transcripts. c). Criminal Background Checks This position has primary responsibility for processing criminal background checks for assigned new resident and subspecialty resident physicians. Upon receipt of signed authorization forms this process is initiated online through Insight a FirstPoint Information resource company. This position is responsible for providing Insight with the details that are to be researched. This position is responsible for reviewing results for accuracy and researching suspicious results. This position is responsible for recording and filing all documentation according to confidentiality regulations. d). Pre-Employment Drug Screening This position has primary responsibility for ensuring every assigned new resident and subspecialty resident physician submits for the pre-employment drug screening. This process is tracked online through Choicepoint services. This position is responsible for reviewing results and researching suspicious results. This position is responsible for recording and filing all documentation according to confidentiality regulations. e). Learning Management System This position has primary responsibility for ensuring all assigned residents, subspecialty resident and visiting resident physicians successfully complete all annual mandatory training via the Learning Management System before being cleared for appointment. This position is responsible for reviewing each resident, subspecialty resident and visiting resident physician's LMS status online for complete/incomplete testing and documenting the results. This position is responsible for notifying each training program and residency training coordinator with status of testing results, and working directly with the resident and subspecialty resident physicians to achieve compliance. f). Verification of Medical/Dental School records This position obtains primary source verification of medical/dental degrees of assigned resident and subspecialty resident physician. The position obtains appropriate authorization for release of information from the assigned resident and subspecialty resident physician, and initiates the verification process beginning with the National Student Clearing House or directly with the medical/dental school as appropriate. Documentation is examined closely to confirm authenticity. This positions researches and resolves issues based on established guidelines. This position is responsible for ensuring final written transcripts are obtained and retained based on established guidelines. g). Visas, Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG), WindStar This position has primary responsibility for assisting with and obtaining and verifying documents as required by the U.S. Department of State, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, United States Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Customs and Border Protection Office. This position researches the documentation for accuracy and investigates as necessary. h). Employment Eligibility Verification This position ensures Employment Eligibility Verification forms (also referred to as I-9) are received are processed for each new resident and subspecialty resident physician within the first 3 days of employment based on federal regulations. i). MedHub Residency Management Software. This position ensures that all performance objectives and ACGME requirements are met and documented in the E*Value residency management system for all 800+ residents accurately in real time.
2. GME Consultant and GME Educator This position serves as the primary consultant and GME Educator for residency training coordinators in the accredited GME programs assigned to the position. Primary duties are to provide professional advice and direction to residency training coordinators and to provide initial and on-going training to residency training coordinators in the area of graduate medical education process and policies, and institutional and program requirements.
3. Managing Residents Privileges a). Payroll, Deductions and Direct Deposits This position is directly responsible for maintaining the GHR system for payroll and tax deductions, and establishing direct deposits of payroll and other maintenance items as required. This position obtains documentation and ensures Lawson is updated appropriately and consistent with payroll deadlines. b). Terminating residents This position is responsible for making certain that the protocol for terminating residents is met, including reviewing payroll to make certain the resident has been classified as terminating, receiving and acknowledging through clearance sheets a forwarding address and clearance from all work related areas within their specialty, making sure that the physician numbers are deactivated once the resident has terminated, notifying the North Carolina Medical Board of the change in staff privileges and providing documentation for the resident’s personnel file, and reviewing the terminating resident’s file and preparing off-site electronic storage and maintenance.
● Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate discipline (or equivalent combination of education, training and experience).
● No licensure or certification required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● If a Bachelor's degree: Two (2) years of administrative support experience of increasing variety and/or projects-related role.
● If an Associate's degree: Six (6) years of administrative support experience of increasing variety and/or projects-related role.
● If a High School diploma or GED: Ten (10) years of administrative support experience of increasing variety and/or projects-related role.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Familiar with standard concepts, practices, and procedures within the Graduate Medical Education field. Understanding of ethics, laws and regulations related to graduate medical education. Knowledge of graduate medical education business operations and system functions.
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Graduate Medical Education
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.