Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this winter. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 13364
Location: Durham, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Per Diem
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
A Clinical Pharmacist Practitioner (CPP) functions as part of the interdisciplinary healthcare team in accordance with privileges approved by the credentialing committee to provide high quality, cost effective care to patients in collaboration with a supervising physician and healthcare team.
UNC Hospitals Department of Pharmacy has an immediate opening for a highly-motivated per diem pharmacist interested in joining our Family Medicine Clinic part-time. This will be a one day per week commitment consistently with the opportunity for additional time during vacancies.
The successful Clinical Pharmacist Practitioner (CPP) will play an integral role in the management of patients cared for at the UNC Family Medicine Center at Chapel Hill. This is a multidisciplinary clinic located in Chapel Hill, NC which offers comprehensive services in primary care. The Family Medicine CPP will serve as an Advanced Practice Practitioner on the interdisciplinary health care team as well as providing clinical support to physicians, nurses, and other ancillary staff. Within this established clinic, pharmacy services have included pharmacotherapy visits for chronic disease management and multidisciplinary transitions of care.
The successful candidate will have an opportunity to provide educational mentorship and experiential precepting to pharmacy students, Post-graduate year I (PGY1), and Post-graduate Year 2 (PGY2) Pharmacy residents at UNC Hospitals and work closely with Family Medicine medical residents. Additionally, the Family Medicine CPP will work with the Department of Pharmacy and Division of Family Medicine to address institutional and departmental-related quality improvement initiatives. Academic appointment at the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy is also available commensurate with experience.
Completion of PGY2 specialty residency in Ambulatory Care or Pharmacotherapy or an equivalent level of experience in a clinical practice is preferred. Three to five years of practice experience in ambulatory care would be strongly preferred. The designation of Board Certification in Ambulatory Care or Pharmacotherapy and/or prior experience as a resident and student preceptor is preferred.
1. Clinical Responsibilities:Builds a clinical practice that collaborates with physicians and providers to care for clinic patients. Works closely with clinic physicians and providers to determine appropriate treatment plans.Provides longitudinal dosing and monitoring of appropriate regimens. Aligns daily practice with medication management goals set forth by the institution or pharmacy director, including medication use evaluations and medication reconciliation. Educates patients and families about their treatment plans and subsequent medication management including lab monitoring. Educates staff on guideline updates and practice advancements associated with this patient population. Manages toxicities and adverse effects caused by medication regimens for patients seen in the clinic. Manages transitions of care for patients from the acute to ambulatory care setting and vice versa.
2. Distributive Responsibilities:Identifies and enrolls eligible patients in specialty pharmacy services including UNC SSC Pharmacy, and serves as a contact for the clinic. Aligns daily responsibilities to support retail distributional operations. Conducts patient onboarding and follow-up phone calls to support Pharmacy Adherence Centered Therapy (PACT). Coordinates with the UNC SSC Pharmacy and the UNC Medication Assistance Program (MAP).
3. Precepting/Teaching/Scholarly activities: Educates UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy students and UNC Medical Center pharmacy residents on experiential rotations. Educates clinic staff on guideline updates and practice advancements. Serves as a standing committee member on select groups of committees within UNC Medical Center and/or Eshelman School of Pharmacy. Designs and implements projects. Conducts research; prepares and submits manuscripts for publication.
4. Leadership: Provides instruction to physicians, nurses, ancillaries, residents and/or students including but not limited to precepting, shadowing, lectures, in-services and CE. Develops programs/lectures and participates in community outreach programs. Leads quality improvement initiatives.
5. Quality: Engages in continuous quality improvement by identifying and implementing processes for improvement. Consults with management in assessment, problem-solving, decision-making, and evaluating clinical/system issues and models of care. Develops new clinical programs or services within the clinic/department to improve patient care.
● Bachelor's Degree in Pharmacy.
● CPP must by a registered Pharmacist and licensed CPP in the state of NC. Credentialing and Privileging must be completed through the appropriate UNC HCS accrediting body as an APP prior to start date.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● No prior experience required.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: UNCH Retail Contract Pharmacie
Work Type: Per Diem
Standard Hours Per Week: 8.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Durham
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.