Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this winter. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 13363
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Provides care of patients by optimizing medication use and drug distribution services.
UNC Hospitals (UNCH) Department of Pharmacy has an immediate opening for a highly-motivated pharmacist interested in joining our Specialty and Primary Care (SPC) Ambulatory Care Team.
The SPC Ambulatory Clinic Generalist Pharmacist will play an integral role in clinical coverage of patients across our ambulatory clinics. The clinical pharmacist will join the existing pharmacists on our interdisciplinary health care teams to provide clinical support to our physicians, nurses, and other ancillary staff.
The successful candidate will also provide educational mentorship and experiential precepting to pharmacy students, Post-graduate Year 1 (PGY1), and Post-graduate Year 2 (PGY2) Pharmacy residents at UNC Hospitals. Additionally, the SPC Ambulatory Clinical Pharmacist will work with the Department of Pharmacy to address institutional and departmental pharmacy-related quality improvement initiatives. Academic appointment at the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy is also available commensurate with experience.
Completion of a PGY2 specialty residency in Ambulatory Care or an equivalent level of experience in clinical practice is preferred. Three to five years of practice experience in ambulatory care would be strongly preferred. The designation of Board Certification in Ambulatory Care, Pharmacotherapy, and/or prior experience as a resident and student preceptor is preferred.
1. Receives prescriptions, interprets prescriptions, and reviews the patient's medication profile /history. Clarifies incomplete, inaccurate, or contraindicated prescriptions with the prescriber, nurse, or other health professional, as appropriate. Identifies and intervenes on problems related to the medication needs of the patient.
2. Utilizes and analyzes patient data to provide optimal drug therapy recommendations. Assesses the patient's medication therapy regimen and makes appropriate clinical interventions with the provider. Performs protocol-driven clinical services such as IV to oral dosing, stewardship activities, etc
3. Compounds and oversees the preparation and dispensing of medications including sterile products using standard formulas, processes and procedures as required.
4. Complies with the medication formulary, and therapeutic substitution and other programs designed to optimize drug therapy while minimizing cost as required.
5. Completes required documentation such as notations in the medical record, controlled substances documentation, cash register reconciliation, competency, etc. as required.
6. Counsels patients and appropriate family members regarding pharmaceutical care issues as requested or required.
7. Directs workflow of the shift and supervises pharmacy technicians, students, and/or volunteers present during that shift.
8. Adheres to federal, state, local and institutional policies, procedures, standards and regulations.
9. Identifies and participates in process improvement opportunities.
10. Precepts students, residents and participates in training new pharmacy staff as required.
● Bachelor's degree in Pharmacy.
● Eligible for licensure as a Registered Pharmacist in NC. Licensure from NC Board of Pharmacy required within 6 months of orientation date or sooner if required for operations.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● No prior experience required.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: UNCH Retail Contract Pharmacie
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.