Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this winter. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 13326
Location: Raleigh, NC
Facility/Division: Shared Services
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The Intake Specialist is responsible for reviewing accurate demographic, financial, and medical information from patients whom require health care services in accordance with policies and procedures in a confidential manner. Responsible for contacting insurance carriers to obtain authorizations and referral approvals for services and procedures. Research medical records to gather information and substantiate medical justification for procedures as required by insurance carriers. Submits requested medical information to insurance carrier.
1. Completion of insurance verification before the date of service for scheduled and pre-registered accounts.
2. Completion of approval (pre-authorization/prior-approval) for scheduled and pre-registered accounts.
3. Responsible for maintaining work queues.
4. Access, review and respond to third party correspondence via payor websites.
5. Respond to any assigned correspondence in a timely, professional, and complete manner.
6. Maintain basic understanding and knowledge of health insurance plans, policies and procedures.
7. Meets/Exceeds Productivity and Quality standards.
8. Influences co-worker satisfaction by being self-motivated, a positive communicator, team player, and a willing and approachable resource to other co-workers. Demonstrates willingness to change to ensure continuous improvement.
9. Actively participates in departmental QA by utilizing system work queues, making a personal effort to reduce individual errors, and making corrections. Utilizes system work queues as a daily part of the registration process to minimize errors.
10. Effectively precepts new co-workers as assigned.
● High School Diploma or GED. College degree preferred.
● None required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● 2 years of customer service and/or clerical experience. Prefer experience in healthcare setting with exposure to patient registration or scheduling or insurance authorization processes.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Language Skills: Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
● Mathematical Skills: Ability to apply basic mathematical skills such as counting money and making change, using a credit card and adding machine.
● Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations. Ability to define problems, collect data or information, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to develop independent solutions.
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: Shared Services
Organization Unit: Pre-Arrival Unit
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Raleigh
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.