Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this winter. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 13170
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Performs a variety of specialized medical tissue testing. Work involves preparation of tissue samples, which enable pathologist to determine the cause of death, cause and degree of disease of patient and the course of treatment. Serves as technical resource and works closely with supervisor scheduling, workflow management, and monitoring and troubleshooting. Serves as backup to supervisor as necessary.
1. Investigates problems with equipment, test results, specimens, and/or workflow.
2. Monitors daily operation of laboratory section or work area.
3. Participates on teams or perform special projects/assignments.
4. Performs non-routine, more complex test procedures. Prepares tissue slides by processing, embedding, sectioning, examining, and staining tissues received form surgical pathology, autopsy, hematology, cytology and research areas.
5. Performs quality control and equipment maintenance.
6. Provides leadership and guidance to co-workers.
7. Reports results to healthcare providers. Consults/confers with healthcare providers regarding test results.
8. Reviews test results to ensure accuracy of report and timely correction of errors.
9. Serves as a Lead Technologist or Program Manager in areas such as quality control, education, competency, equipment, safety, etc.
10. Trains new employees. Teaches Clinical Laboratory Science students and Pathology residents. Serves as a technical resource.
● Bachelor's degree in Medical Technology, Clinical Laboratory Science, Chemistry or a Biological Science.
● HTL(ASCP) certified by the ASCP Board of Certification (BOC) or;
● HT(ASCP) certified by the ASCP Board of Certification (BOC) and 5 years of direct immunohistochemistry experience or
● EM certification from Electron Microscopy Society for Certification #1 and #2
Professional Experience Requirements:
● If Bachelor degree plus completion of NAACLS accredited histology program, two (2) years of relevant laboratory experience.
● If Bachelor degree in biological or chemical science, three (3) years of relevant laboratory experience.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● or EM certification from Electron Microscopy Society for Certification #1 and #2
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Surgical Pathology
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.