Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this winter. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 13782
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: Shared Services
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Serves as a lead employee who audits coded records for multiple specialties. Analyzes coded records for compliance with federal, state and third party insurer rules and regulations. Establishes a collaborative relationship with stakeholders to ensure quality standards are met.
1. Accurately assigns International Classification of Diseases 10-CM (ICD-10) diagnostic and Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) codes with modifiers, and other applicable codes. Analyzes information for optimal and proper reimbursement, including coding denial resolution. Ensures compliance with all appropriate coding, billing and data collection regulations and procedures. Uses appropriate software to validate information.
2. Provides information to physicians and other health care staff regarding current coding practices and changes in 3rd party, state and federal regulations and guidelines.
3. Reviews, analyzes and abstracts provider documentation for diagnoses, procedures, ancillary testing, medications, laboratory and other services provided. Obtains missing information and/or clarifies existing documentation.
4. Performs pre-bill and/or post-bill audits for assigned coding teams.
5. Adheres to departmental quality and production standards.
6. Reviews work of staff, researches and resolves problems referred by coders or departmental leadership. Provides information on performance of coders to supervisor regarding performance.
7. Provides training and serves as a general resource to assist other coders and members of department staff.
8. Collaborates with team leadership to address coding trends.
9. Acquires continuing education via UNC Physicians approved programs and vendors.
10. Maintains required professional certification.
Employment opportunities available in the following states: Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia and Wisconsin.
**Position is Virtual/Remote**
● High School diploma or GED
● Successful completion of the UNC HCS SS Rev Cycle Physician Coder Auditor Proficiency Test.
● Must have one of the following: - AAPC (American Academy of Professional Coders) certification-AHIMA (American Health Information Management Association) CCSP Certification-Must obtain CPMA certification within 1 year of hire date.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● If Associates Degree or Higher: Five (5) years of experience in physician medical coding.
● If High School Diploma: Seven (7) years of experience in physician medical coding.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: Shared Services
Organization Unit: Physician Rev Cycle Coding
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.