Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this winter. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 13421
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: Shared Services
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Position on the Estimates team, primarily focused on uninsured patient estimates. Duties include creating pre-service cost estimates from work queues and tracking data related to cost estimates for services. Opportunity to assist with auditing and training once primary job duties are performed successfully. Candidates should have knowledge regarding HB and PB billing and procedures, as well as strong critical thinking and communication skills. This position will interact with patients, registration, financial navigation, and other system departments.
***This position qualifies for a $5,000 commitment incentive, paid over a three (3) year commitment. Payment of $1,500 will be made within the first thirty (30) days of employment. The remaining will be paid after each six (6) month period of work completed. Learn more here: https://jobs.unchealthcare.org/pages/revenue-cycle-commitment-incentive-program***
1. Verifies patients as uninsured or identifies and updates coverage appropriately
2. Actively participates in departmental quality by making a personal effort to reduce individual errors, and making corrections
3. Review/Create Hospital and Physician estimates within the Epic Patient Estimator
4. Responsible for documenting and explaining benefit breakdown and out of pocket costs for patient understanding
● High school diploma or GED.
● No licensure or certification required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Two (2) years of experience in Hospital or Physician Insurance related activities (Authorization, Billing, Follow-Up, Call-Center, or Collections).
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
● Excellent listening skills, and organizational skills.
● Advanced knowledge of UB-04, HCFA-1500’s and Explanation of Benefits (EOB) interpretation.
● Intermediate knowledge of CPT and ICD-9 codes.
● Advanced knowledge of insurance billing, collections and insurance terminology.
● Ability to work in fast pace environment and prioritize and manage multiple tasks.
● Healthcare terminology.
● Customer Service skills.
● Computer knowledge: MS Word, Excel, and Outlook.
● Knowledge of 3rd party reimbursements from insurance companies and government payers is a plus.
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: Shared Services
Organization Unit: Pre-Arrival Unit
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.