Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC WakeBrook, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 13849
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Faculty Physicians
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The Orthopaedic Cast Technologist II is a trained member of the orthopaedic team who works with all associated health care professionals in delivering patient care and assuming appropriate responsibilities concerning all orthopaedic procedures.
*This position qualifies for a $5,000 commitment incentive, paid in six (6) installments over a three (3) year commitment. Payment is made after each six (6) month period of work completed. Learn more here:https://jobs.unchealthcare.org/pages/unc-medical-center-unc-faculty-physicians-outpatient-commitment-incentive-program
1. Assist with the routine examination and treatment procedures to include removing casts, cleaning wounds and applying dressings. Under the direction of a physician assists in the clinical care of patients.
2. Assists the physician in the reduction of fractures and dislocations. Preparing for upcoming clinics including review of the patient list, prep of pre-visit ancillary orders to ensure the test results and prior notes have been received. Rooming the patients to include taking vital signs and a brief visit intake
3. Performs a variety of tasks including the fabrication and removal of casts and splints, the application of orthopaedic devices and the removal of external orthopaedic hardware. Assist physicians, residents and other Orthopaedic personnel with the application and removal of a variety of casts and splints.
4. Performs application of braces, prosthetics, orthotics and orthoses. Fitting and adjustment of canes, crutches and walkers. Fabricating splints for various conditions. Wound care, removal of wound closure materials (staples, sutures and percutaneous pins) and the application and removal of sterile and non-sterile dressings.
5. Performs removal and adjustment of external fixators, halos, and orthopaedic frames. Preparation and set up for specific types of traction, making adjustments as necessary. Performing necessary patient measurements (grip strength, leg strength, extremity girth).
6. Provides patient and family education regarding the care of their immobilization devices. Scheduling other ancillary services per physician request. Cleaning rooms, exam tables and equipment between patients and at the end of the day re-stocking and ordering necessary supplies. Entering the physician labs and radiology orders that have been ordered and handling physician referrals
● High School diploma or GED
● No licensure or certification required.
● If five (5) years of experience in Orthopaedics: No licensure or certification required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● If NBCOT Orthopaedic Technologist Certification or equivalent certification (Pedorthist Certification), LPN degree or EMT degree: Two (2) years of experience in Orthopaedics.
● If no NBCOT or equivalent certification (Pedorthist Certification), LPN degree, or EMT degree: Five (5) years of experience in Orthopaedics. Experience must include vital signs and basic terminology commensurate with training programs for nursing assistants, medical assistants and EMTs.
● Experience must include vital signs and basic terminology commensurate with training programs for nursing assistants, medical assistants and EMTs.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Faculty Physicians
Organization Unit: SOM Orthopaedics
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.