Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this winter. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 14180
Location: Raleigh, NC
Facility/Division: UNC REX Healthcare
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The Medical Assistant I, Certified provides routine clinical and administrative support to providers and other health care team members in an outpatient clinic setting. The Medical Assistant I, Certified works under the clinical supervision of the provider for patient care activities, and under the general direction of the designated manager/supervisor for non-clinical responsibilities.
This position qualifies for a $5,000 commitment incentive, visit https://jobs.unchealthcare.org/pages/unc-ma-commitment for more information.
1. Performs rooming and/or intake process, collecting and data, including vital signs, height, weight, and data related to patient’s reason for visit.
2. Collects patient and family data, including medical and social history.
3. Reviews patient’s current medication list, allergies and preferred pharmacy.
4. Assists the provider as directed, during treatments, examinations and procedures.
5. Collects specimens and performs phlebotomy.
6. Administers medications under the direction of a provider.
7. Performs tests, for examples EKG, eye exams, under the direction of a provider.
8. Reviews the patient record to determine whether patient requires any routine health screenings.
9. Ensures exam/procedure room contains appropriate supplies, equipment, forms and educational materials are available and ready for use during visit/procedure.
10. Provides patient with after-visit, follow-up, self-care or procedural instructions and/or educational materials as directed.
11. Prepares, cleans, stocks and maintains exam and treatment rooms.
12. Cleans and sterilizes instruments.
13. Assists with patient registration, check in/check out, appointment scheduling, and scheduling of tests and treatments, and referrals.
14. Answers clinic telephone and assists in-basket under the direction of a provider or nurse.
15. Assists in emergency situations as directed by a provider or nurse.
● Requires high school diploma or GED.
● Completion of a Medical Assisting program accredited by either the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) or the Accreditation Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES) is strongly preferred but not required.
● Requires Medical Assistant certification by either the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA), American Medical Technologists (AMT), National Health Career Association (CCMA), National Association of Health Professionals (NRCMA), or National Center for Competency Testing (NCMA).
● Prefer candidates with current Basic Life Support Certification from American Heart Association at the time of hire. If selected candidate does not possess BLS, one must be obtained within 30 days of hire.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Prior medical assistant or medical assistant externship experience preferred.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Ability to perform the essential functions of the position as outlined above.
● Demonstrated effective communication and interpersonal skills.
● Demonstrated ability to engage positively with patients and families and to work as a team with staff and providers.
● Ability to use a computer to document required information into the electronic medical record.
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: UNC REX Healthcare
Organization Unit: Rex Blue Ridge Hematology Onc
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Raleigh
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.