Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this winter. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 15380
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
UNC Health Department of Care Management is accepting applications for a full-time Social Worker for the Sickle Cell Center at the Medical Center in Chapel Hill. This outpatient position includes working with an experienced and dedicated multidisciplinary care team in Adult and Pediatric Sickle Cell, as well as being part of a broader team of clinical social workers in the Care Management Department who work in UNC’s Specialty Clinics.
This position supports patients who have been diagnosed with Sickle Cell disease. The social worker provides compassionate care to patients and families who have complex social, emotional, environmental and mental health needs that prevent them from addressing their healthcare needs. The clinical social worker provides care management support for patients in the ambulatory setting and collaborates with inpatient care managers and social workers, and community providers, to provide continuity of psychosocial support for the adult and pediatric Sickle Cell patients.
Creativity, flexibility, initiative, excellent time management, communication and organizational skills are required in this fast paced environment. The successful candidate will work Monday through Friday, 8:30-5:00pm with some late hours as needed. Preferred candidates will be fully licensed with an LCSW and have experience working with the pediatric population or medical social work. This position is primarily based out of the Medical Center in Chapel Hill, however the social worker may possibly see patients at UNC clinics in Raleigh or other Chapel Hill clinic locations.
Responsible for patient outreach and care coordination in the ambulatory practice setting. Identifies barriers to care plan compliance and provides appropriate education and resources. Works collaboratively with the care team to achieve high quality, low cost outcomes for patient populations. Consistently achieves established productivity targets.
Description of Job Responsibilities:
2. Utilizes motivational interviewing to identify barriers and facilitate care plan compliance. Serves as a patient advocate, supporting shared decision-making and the use of decision aids.
3. Educates patients and families on a variety of topics including how to access medical home services, establish self-management goals, and navigate the health care system.
4. Identifies, coordinates and helps to align patient care and community resources to facilitate patient care transitions and prevent hospital readmissions and Emergency Department visits.
5. Provides psychotherapy for mental, emotional, addictive, behavioral, or developmental disorders and conditions within the scope of practice for a LCSW.
6. Reviews and monitors patient outcomes, recommends changes in care plan and implements population management interventions.
7. Appropriately documents consults and interventions in the patient's electronic medical record.
8. Consistently achieves established productivity targets.
9. Appropriately documents consults and interventions in the patient's electronic medical record.
10. Actively participates in meetings, problem solving, goal setting, quality improvement and patient satisfaction initiatives.
11. Maintains compliance with organizational policies and procedures and evidenced based guidelines.
Requires Master's in Social Work.
Professional Experience Requirements:
Three (3) years of broad clinical experience in the acute care setting caring for patients with complex medical conditions required. Experience in case management, utilization review, quality management preferred.
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: UNCH Care Mgmt OP Social Wrkrs
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.