Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this winter. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 16292
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Per Diem
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Provides care of patients by optimizing medication use and drug distribution services. Compounds and dispenses medications using prescriptions authorized by a physician. Instructs patients on medications including drug interaction. Reviews patient medication history for allergies and drug interactions.
The University of North Carolina Hospitals and Clinics Department of Pharmacy's Acute Care Services team has an immediate opening for a highly motivated individual interested in providing patient care to our acute care adult patient population.
The Clinical Pharmacist may cover a variety of different services ranging from general medicine to general surgery services, to intensive care and emergency department patients. The Clinical Pharmacist will work with a multidisciplinary team to provide comprehensive pharmaceutical care to inpatients at UNC Hospitals. The position will provide pharmacotherapy services, medication profile review, response to drug information questions, order verification, problem resolution, and distributive functions as needed. This individual will play an active role in the continued development of the transition of care process, primarily focusing on medication reconciliation and patient counseling. In addition, this person will work closely with other members of the Department of Pharmacy to address any needs that might arise and that require this person's qualifications and/or expertise. The hours of this position will alternate between Monday through Friday from either 7:00am to 3:30pm or 1:30pm to 10:00pm with weekend staffing opportunities. These hours may change if needed based on operational needs.
Qualified candidates will have earned a BS in Pharmacy or a Doctor of Pharmacy degree from an ACPE-accredited school/college of pharmacy and must be licensed or eligible licensure to practice pharmacy in the State of North Carolina. The designation of Board Certified Pharmacotherapy Specialist (BCPS) and completion of PGY1 or PGY2 residency or an equivalent level of pharmacy experience is also preferred.
Contact Information: Emily Lineberry, PharmD, MS, BCPS, Clinical Manager, University of North Carolina Hospitals. Email: [email protected]
For more information on UNC Health care, see our website at www.unchealthcare.org. This specific position can be found by searching PHA005GI.
1. Receives prescriptions, interprets prescriptions, and reviews the patient's medication profile /history. Clarifies incomplete, inaccurate, or contraindicated prescriptions with the prescriber, nurse, or other health professional, as appropriate. Identifies and intervenes on problems related to the medication needs of the patient.
2. Utilizes and analyzes patient data to provide optimal drug therapy recommendations. Assesses the patient's medication therapy regimen and makes appropriate clinical interventions with the provider. Performs protocol-driven clinical services such as IV to oral dosing, stewardship activities, etc
3. Compounds and oversees the preparation and dispensing of medications including sterile products using standard formulas, processes and procedures as required.
4. Complies with the medication formulary, and therapeutic substitution and other programs designed to optimize drug therapy while minimizing cost as required.
5. Completes required documentation such as notations in the medical record, controlled substances documentation, cash register reconciliation, competency, etc. as required.
6. Counsels patients and appropriate family members regarding pharmaceutical care issues as requested or required.
7. Directs workflow of the shift and supervises pharmacy technicians, students, and/or volunteers present during that shift.
8. Adheres to federal, state, local and institutional policies, procedures, standards and regulations.
9. Identifies and participates in process improvement opportunities.
10. Precepts students, residents and participates in training new pharmacy staff as required.
● Bachelor's degree in Pharmacy.
● Licensed as a Registered Pharmacist and eligible to practice pharmacy in the state of North Carolina.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● No prior experience required.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Pharmacy Decentral Services
Work Type: Per Diem
Standard Hours Per Week: 8.00
Work Schedule: Variable
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.