Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current employees, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For employee referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 13908
Location: Boone, NC
Facility/Division: Shared Services
Status: Full Time
Shift: Night Job
This position may involve support of various hospitals and health care systems within the UNC Health Care System, but will be employed by Rex Hospital, Inc. (this includes, but is not limited to, for purposes of payroll, health benefits, retirement options, and applicable policies).
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Plans, develops, installs, troubleshoots, maintains and supports operating systems and associated server hardware, software and databases ensuring optimum system integrity, security, backup and performance. Works with vendors and a variety of users to optimize systems in order to increase user productivity and efficiency.
1. Follows appropriate change control procedures when making system changes. Change records are submitted well in advance whenever possible and include relevant detailed information.
2. Maintains operating system-level software to highest security and fix levels allowed by vendor's certification of application software. Systems are maintained in an audit-ready state and are upgraded to latest stable releases.
3. Monitors systems performance by collecting and analyzing data using a variety of tools. Recommends and/or implements tuning measures to optimize performance if needed. Works effectively with co-workers and vendors to isolate and resolve system problems. Monitors server backups daily for trends, missed files/folders, or any discrepancies and works to resolve any problems. Works with vendors and Security Team to establish user accounts and ensure which users can access system applications and what directories can be accessed by user.
4. Serves as backup to the Storage Engineer and Computer Operators responsible for the day-to-day operations and monitoring of the environment. Participates in the on-call rotation assisting in resource provisioning and troubleshooting.
5. Writes and modifies file transfer automation scripts and TSM macros. Scripts include comments regarding purpose, change history, and any special considerations.
● Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems Management or related field (or equivalent combination of education, training and experience).
● No licensure or certification required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● If a Bachelor's degree: One (1) years of direct experience.
● If an Associate's degree: Five (5) years of direct experience.
● If a High School diploma or GED: Nine (9) years of direct experience.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Excellent analytical and communication skills. Ability to work well in a team environment. Demonstrated ability to successfully manage multiple tasks simultaneously. Highly responsive to internal customers.
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: Shared Services
Organization Unit: IT Computer Oper Tech Supp
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Night Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.