Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this winter. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 16563
Location: Hillsborough, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center Hillsborough
Status: Full Time
This position qualifies for our UNC Hospitals RN Incentive Program, which includes up to $20,000 commitment incentive or up to $25,000 tuition loan forgiveness. In addition, this position is also eligible for up to $10,000 in relocation assistance (based on location) and our employee referral program. Learn more about our UNC Hospitals RN Incentive Program here: https://jobs.unchealthcare.org/pages/unc-hospitals-nurse-incentive-program
UNC Health Care Hillsborough Campus is a community hospital which is an extension of UNC Medical Center focusing on many of our elective surgical programs. The 163-bed facility combines a community hospital culture with the innovative procedures and care for which the UNC Medical Center is known. The Hillsborough Hospital has achieved accreditation by The Joint Commission's disease specific program for their Total Hip and Knee Replacement service. This accreditation is the result of many years of work by the inter-professional team caring for these patients. The Hillsborough Hospital was also designated Dementia Friendly in 2019. The Dementia Friendly Hospital Initiative (DFHI) aims to achieve high-quality, individualized, patient-centered care for patients with dementia. Hillsborough Campus is located at 460 Waterstone Drive, Hillsborough, NC just off of I-40 with easy access to free on-campus parking.
Hillsborough CCU: The Critical Care Unit is an 18-bed, mixed acuity unit located on the beautiful Hillsborough campus, which opened in 2015. They provide care to adults of all ages within the surrounding community. This unit cares for a range of medical and surgical patients with critical care needs. The majority of patients are intermediate status, with complications such as Heart Failure, substance withdrawal, sepsis, mechanical ventilation, and respiratory disorders. About one-quarter of the unit volume are ICU level patients requiring vasoactive drips and mechanical ventilation. They also care for post-op surgical patients from the various surgical services provided in Hillsborough. This unit is responsible for responding to all Code Blues and Adult Rapid Responses for the Hillsborough campus. The CCU provides the highest level of Carolina Care to all patients and families it serves, and has received the Carolina Care Service Award for top performer in the UNC Medical Center for the past 3 years.
This position is 36 hours/week, rotating shifts with self-scheduling to meet the needs of the unit and the staff. The unit can offer a straight night shift schedule, otherwise, if interested in a day shift schedule, must be able to work 2 night shifts per 6 week schedule. This position also qualifies for an extensive State benefit package.
Provides competent clinical nursing care consistent with professional standards. Reporting and accountable to the Nurse Manager/Director, the Clinical Nurse is responsible for coordinating and delivering patient care utilizing the nursing process in a hospital setting.
1. Education - Participates in identifying and meeting learning needs of self. Attends education programs based on identified learning needs. With assistance, uses patient education materials relevant to patient population. Assesses readiness to learn of the patient/family/caregivers. Assesses developmental level of patient and factors affecting ability to learn.
2. Evaluation of Care - Identifies expected patient outcomes. Seeks guidance as needed in revision of plan of care. Participates in discussion with members of the interdisciplinary team in evaluation of patient care. Communicates relevant information to promote continuity of care.
3. Implementation - Demonstrates competence in care of patients with complex problems, including population-appropriate physical, psychosocial, educational and safety aspects of care. Performs bedside point of care testing as required for patient care plan. Utilizes healthcare organization and nursing standards, policies and procedures in delivery of care. Organizes and prioritizes care according to patient/family needs. Consults with appropriate resources in a timely fashion regarding patients with complex care issues, unusual teaching needs and/or those at high risk for discharge planning.
4. Leadership - With assistance, develops goals to promote professional growth or minimize limitations. Achieves goals and objectives within identified time frame or renegotiates with supervisor. Is knowledgeable about activities which facilitate intra/interdepartmental collaboration. Participates in development and achievement of unit goals and performance improvement activities. Effectively uses communication systems. Participates in promoting cost-effective care. Gives feedback to co-workers. Is aware of public policy and regulatory guidelines affecting the health care environment. Promotes a safe, clean and secure hospital environment for all.
5. Patient Assessment - Recognizes data from complex situations to determine priorities for care. Includes appropriate physical, psychosocial, education and safety needs. Synthesizes assessment data into meaningful whole prior to communication to others. Assesses and anticipates discharge needs of individual patients and families. Develops relationships with families that promote their ability to advocate for the patient and their own needs.
6. Planning - Collaborates with patient/family to prepare or update the plan of care. Makes use of available multidisciplinary resources in planning care. Begins to use full range of communication as a means to convey planning. Identifies and addresses cultural and ethnic issues in planning patient care. Demonstrates ability to prioritize tasks for patients with complex problems.
7. Research - Reads journals that contain studies or articles that may be applicable to practice. Brings ideas and questions to the staff at large for assessment of applicability.
● Graduation from a school of professional nursing.
● If hired after January 6, 2014, must be enrolled within four years of employment, and obtain a Bachelor's degree with a major in Nursing or a Master's degree with a major in Nursing within seven years of employment date.
● Licensed to practice as a Registered Nurse in the state of North Carolina.
● Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Provider certification
Professional Experience Requirements:
● One (1) year of nursing experience.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center Hillsborough
Organization Unit: HBO H ICU
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 36.00
Work Schedule: Rotating
Location of Job: US:NC:Hillsborough
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.