Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 15036
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Per Diem
The Women's Health Information Center is seeking a Prepared Childbirth Instructor. This is a per diem position and is not eligible for benefits.
The Women's Health Information Center provides women in the community, region and state with access to the most current women's health information in order to help them make informed decisions about their health and of their families. The Center houses a Women’s Health library, support groups and coordinates classes and events at the Hospitals and in the community on a diverse range of women's health issues.
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The Prepared Childbirth Instructor will develop, organize, and implement a comprehensive health education program geared specifically towards preparing women and their partners for labor and caring for their newborn. The Prepared Childbirth Instructor will conduct a structured educational program that includes a variety of topics relating to women's health, prenatal care, labor and delivery, postpartum, infant care, infant feeding, and parenting.
1. Develop, organize, and effectively communicate a comprehensive curriculum geared specifically towards preparing women and their partners for labor and post-partum.
2. Develop, coordinate, and teach a series of childbirth-related classes covering topics such as nutrition in pregnancy, premature labor prevention, physical and emotional changes in pregnancy, the process of labor and birth, comfort measures for labor, UNC Baby-Friendly Initiative practice, postpartum care, birth control, infant care and feeding, parenting skills, dangers of substance abuse, and smoking cessation.
3. If appropriately qualified, a Health Instructor will educate patients and families on topics including, but not limited to, infant and child CPR, sign language for babies, infant massage, prenatal Yoga, child safety and women's life stages.
4. Prepare parents to respond safely and efficiently to the perinatal physical and psychosocial processes
5. Assess basic educational needs of patients and adjust teaching tools accordingly.
6. Incorporate updated recommendations form the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists and the American Academy of Pediatrics, and other trustworthy women's health organization as well as integrating policies and procedures of the UNC Healthcare system and NC Women's Hospital.
● High school diploma or GED. Bachelor's degree preferred.
● Requires certification from a nationally recognized childbirth education organization or certification from a relevant nationally recognized organization (American Heart Association, International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners, etc.), or medical formal training combined with teaching experience.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● 1 year of teaching experience preferred.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Ability to work independently as well as part of a multidisciplinary team. Excellent communication and customer service skills. Ability to effectively and creatively present health information to patients from a variety of cultural and psychosocial backgrounds, including the use of appropriate web sources and tools. Proficient user of Microsoft Office, electronic mail and trustworthy webpages.
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Women's Health Infor Center
Work Type: Per Diem
Standard Hours Per Week: 6.00
Work Schedule: Variable
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.