Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this winter. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 15036
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Per Diem
The Women's Health Information Center is seeking a Prepared Childbirth Instructor. This is a per diem position and is not eligible for benefits.
The Women's Health Information Center provides women in the community, region and state with access to the most current women's health information in order to help them make informed decisions about their health and of their families. The Center houses a Women’s Health library, support groups and coordinates classes and events at the Hospitals and in the community on a diverse range of women's health issues.
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The Prepared Childbirth Instructor will develop, organize, and implement a comprehensive health education program geared specifically towards preparing women and their partners for labor and caring for their newborn. The Prepared Childbirth Instructor will conduct a structured educational program that includes a variety of topics relating to women's health, prenatal care, labor and delivery, postpartum, infant care, infant feeding, and parenting.
1. Develop, organize, and effectively communicate a comprehensive curriculum geared specifically towards preparing women and their partners for labor and post-partum.
2. Develop, coordinate, and teach a series of childbirth-related classes covering topics such as nutrition in pregnancy, premature labor prevention, physical and emotional changes in pregnancy, the process of labor and birth, comfort measures for labor, UNC Baby-Friendly Initiative practice, postpartum care, birth control, infant care and feeding, parenting skills, dangers of substance abuse, and smoking cessation.
3. If appropriately qualified, a Health Instructor will educate patients and families on topics including, but not limited to, infant and child CPR, sign language for babies, infant massage, prenatal Yoga, child safety and women's life stages.
4. Prepare parents to respond safely and efficiently to the perinatal physical and psychosocial processes
5. Assess basic educational needs of patients and adjust teaching tools accordingly.
6. Incorporate updated recommendations form the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists and the American Academy of Pediatrics, and other trustworthy women's health organization as well as integrating policies and procedures of the UNC Healthcare system and NC Women's Hospital.
● High school diploma or GED. Bachelor's degree preferred.
● Requires certification from a nationally recognized childbirth education organization or certification from a relevant nationally recognized organization (American Heart Association, International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners, etc.), or medical formal training combined with teaching experience.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● 1 year of teaching experience preferred.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Ability to work independently as well as part of a multidisciplinary team. Excellent communication and customer service skills. Ability to effectively and creatively present health information to patients from a variety of cultural and psychosocial backgrounds, including the use of appropriate web sources and tools. Proficient user of Microsoft Office, electronic mail and trustworthy webpages.
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Women's Health Infor Center
Work Type: Per Diem
Standard Hours Per Week: 6.00
Work Schedule: Variable
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.