Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this winter. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 19211
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Performs a variety of the more specialized medical tissue testing and administrative tasks in support of clinical activities. Work involves preparation of tissue samples, which enable pathologist to determine the cause of death, cause and degree of disease of patient and the course of treatment.
M-F 8:30am-5:00pm with 1 rotating weekend about every two months (but does vary)
1. Investigates problems with equipment, test results, specimens, and/or workflow.
2. Participates on teams or performs special projects/assignments.
3. Performs quality control and equipment maintenance.
4. Performs routine and more specialized test procedures. Prepares tissue slides by processing, embedding, sectioning, examining, and staining tissues received from surgical pathology, autopsy, hematology, cytology and research areas.
5. Performs teaching of Clinical Laboratory Science students and Pathology residents and training of new employees. Serves as a technical resource.
6. Prepares specimens and reagents, solutions, heat, or filters as required.
7. Provides leadership and guidance to co-workers.
8. Reports results to healthcare providers. Consults/confers with health care providers regarding test results.
9. Reviews test results to ensure accuracy of report and timely correction of errors.
● Bachelor's degree in Medical Technology, Clinical Laboratory Science, Chemistry Science or Biological Science.
● HTL(ASCP) certified by the ASCP Board of Certification (BOC) within two years from date of hire.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● If Bachelor degree plus completion of NAACLS accredited histology program, no years of experience is required.
● If Bachelor degree in biological or chemical science, one (1) year of relevant laboratory experience.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Surgical Pathology
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.