Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this winter. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 14813
Location: Durham, NC
Facility/Division: Shared Services
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Ensures the timely and accurate payment of invoices received by UNCHCS through the practice of acceptable and compliant accounting practices which recognize control gaps, prevent unauthorized payments and capture benefits such as early payment discounts. Reconciles vendor statements against open payables reports for the purpose of cash forecasting and ensures that all open credits are validated and processed to the benefit of UNCHCS.
1. Performs 3 way (goods) and 2 way (services) invoice matching to assure correct expense line application and budget alignment as specified on purchase orders. Performs standardized controls, including check matching, to assure remittance accuracy. Works with vendors, departments and other personnel to analyze past dues, credit/rebills, unapplied cash and refunds. Analyzes “out of balance” invoices and creates cost messages for resolution. Processes check requests and/or non-PO documents. Audits support documentation and approval signatures accordingly.
2. Uses state guidelines to determine sales and use tax accruals and foreign vendor withholding. Identifies vendor’s incorporated status and processes goods and services accordingly for purposes of 1099 reportable income. Works with purchasing to assure accurate income codes are reflected in the vendor master database. Participates in year end 1099 analysis and mailing.
3. Works with auditors to demonstrate procedures, provide case samples and reply to findings. Elevates compliance gaps for evaluation of changes or additional controls. Prepares affidavits for completion by vendors/employees for re-issuance of lost or damaged checks. Responds to vendors and departments with invoice status and payment information.
4. Analyzes vendor accounts to identify unapplied cash and assure application within 90 days. Prepares and submits refund requests to vendors when applicable. Responds to over-payment auditors with documentation which validates credit balances, benefits the Health Care System, and prevents financial losses resulting from credit balance claims.
5. Compiles, formats, or analyzes a variety of accounting reports including EDI 810 daily report analysis, monthly RNI (Received, Not Invoiced) analysis, and periodic duplicate payment analysis. Utilizes office support software packages for scanning and verification of invoices and attaches URL images to system invoice entries.
6. Participates in system upgrades, testing and implementations of new functions or software. Writes procedural documents. Trains new internal and external staff and participates in mentoring until proficiency is achieved.
7. Performs support duties as assigned such as check matching, mail distribution, preparation of check printing audit logs, check mailing and filing.
● High School diploma or GED
● No licensure or certification required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Two (2) years of experience in an accounting or financial support role.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Thorough knowledge of applicable accounts payable/general ledger systems and procedures, financial chart of accounts and corporate procedures.
● Strong problem solving skills, documentation skills, research and resolution skills, data analysis and multi-tasking skills.
● Ability to work independently and with a team in a fast-paced, high volume, deadline driven environment with emphasis on accuracy and timeliness.
● Must be detail oriented, well organized and possess strong organizational and time management skills.
● Must be able to follow standard filing procedures.
● Ability to type 60-65 wpm.
● Ability to 10-key by touch.
● Ability to speak, read and write English fluently.
● Must be able to communicate effectively verbaly and in writing.
● Ability to interact with employees and vendors in a professional manner.
● Ability to perform mathematical computations such as percentages, fractions, addition, subtraction, multiplication and division quickly and accurately.
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: Shared Services
Organization Unit: Accounts Payable
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Durham
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.